6. | not my girlfriend

Start from the beginning

Then they saw a middle-aged woman look through the little curtain on the door. Joyce and Hopper waved weakly at her, and the woman hesitantly opened the door.

"Can I help you?" She asked curtly, obviously not wanting to chat with them.

"Well, we certainly hope so. We wouldn't come all the way here for nothing." Maisie remarked from the back and watched as her mother turned to send her a glare.

"Hi, we're looking for Terry Ives. Does she live here?" Hopper said, ignoring the girl's remark.

"Who's asking?"

"Us," Aaron said and motioned at the group with his hand. "We are literally the ones asking." His voice came out dull, but it had that deeply sarcastic tone, that Maisie just adored. She coughed in her sleeve, trying to hide her laughter. God, she had missed him.

"The Hawkins chief of police, sorry about them." Jim cut her off, and showed the woman his badge.

"And you want to talk to my sister?" She asked with a questioning voice, her face uncertain.

"That's what we are saying, yes." Maisie stated again, and this time it was Aaron who let out a snort.

Joyce turned to them swiftly. "Okay, you two can go to the car, we can handle this." She said and started pushing them towards the vehicle.

"Rude." Maisie mumbled before taking a hold of Aaron's arm and walking to the car. She remained next to it, not opening the door. He took the hint and stayed at her side. They watched the woman let the two adults in, causing Maisie to sigh.

"Do you think I was being too rude earlier?" She looked at Aaron, who was again towering over her, especially since she was leaning against the car. Her head barely reached his shoulders. She wasn't sure if it was because she was short, or because he was tall.

"No. You've had a bad week. You don't have to be nice to everyone." He stepped closer to her, and with his right hand he tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. Maisie shivered and prayed to fucking God that he didn't notice.

"Really? I'm so sick of pretending to be nice to everyone, when I've been treated like shit."

Aaron watched her with an amused look and took a hold of her waist to pull her into the car. "Come on now, sweetheart. It's getting cold out here."

She didn't argue, since she it was actually quite chilly outside. She silently let him guide her in with his hand still on her waist. (she decided to be nice this one time and noy remove it) He kept his hand there and she leaned her head on his shoulder again. They didn't need to speak, they both knew that nothing needed to be said that they didn't already now.

Maisie flinched when her mother got in the car and banged her door shut, sighing in her seat. "So? Did you find out anything?" She leaned forward to ask Joyce, who looked so stressed out it almost hurt her.

"No, the woman's gone mad." Jim muttered when he got in.

"Alright," Maisie said with a weird expression before leaning back against Aaron, his hand coming back to rest on her waist.

"Hey." Jim said, gaining Joyce's attention.

"What?" Her voice came out so quiet, and sounding so tired, that Maisie frowned. This wasn't her mother. This whole deal wasn't good for her.

"We're gonna find him." He assured.

"Yeah, like Terry found her daughter?"

"We're close." Maisie heard Jim whisper.

"Twelve years? Twelve years she's been looking for her-" Joyce's voice trembled.

"And then she shows up at Benny's five nights ago, which means we've got a chance." Jim looked at Joyce, his voice firm. "You know what I would give? For a chance?" His voice started getting weaker. "You know what I would give?" He sounded painful.