𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

╰┈ ・゚ CHAPTER ZERO ;

A SHORT seven-year-old Maisie sat on her seat, anxiously playing with her fingers as she waited. It was the first day of second grade, and while she was happy that Jonathan was finally in the same school as her, she passionetly hated first days.

She hated the part where she had to tell the whole class about what she did during the summer. (nothing.) She hated the games they played. (she always lost.) But mostly, she hated when their teacher decided to make up new seat arrangements for the class, just for the fun of it. Apparently it helps make friends and reduces only sitting with your best friend. Well, Maisie didn't even have one, so she felt like she could easily be excluded from this.

Her seat had already been assigned, seeing as their teacher, Mrs.Dudds, listed them in alphabetical order. The girl anxiously sat there, biting her lip, her leg bouncing up and down as she eyed the rest of her classmates, who were standing by the wall. She wanted someone kind. Maybe someone who was quiet as well, so she wouldn't have to talk to them? Yes, that would be quite nice.

"Henderson, you're next to Byers."

Maisie's head snapped up at the sound of her name, and she watched a blonde boy with beautiful blue eyes step out of the line, heading towards her with confident steps.

Crap.

She got a boy, who was definitely not quiet from what she remembered from the previous year. She didn't quite know about the kind part yet, but she could assume that he would just ignore her for the rest of the year. That's what her last seating partner did. Steve or Steven something. Maisie didn't remeber, since they never talked.

The boy sat down on her right, sending her a bright grin, which immediately made her cheeks flush. "Hey!"

The volume of his voice made Maisie flinch, and she looked at him with her wide, brown eyes. "Hello."

"I'm Aaron," he introduced, but then grimaced. "Well, actually it's Aaron Joseph, but I don't like the way that sounds."

Maisie blinked. He was... talking to her? Huh, odd. She could swear Aaron was the first nice person in this class, and she rather liked him for this specific reason. She remembered him, how could she not? He was friends with most of their class, he was loud and laughed often with his friends. In the school's cafeteria, he always had a crowd sitting with him. And he wanted to talk to her?

"I'm Maisie. I quite like my name."

He laughed, "You're funny." He then seemed to remember something, "Hey, I think my mom knows your mom."

She tilted her head to the side, eyebrows furrowing. "Really? My mom doesn't have that many friends.."

Aaron nodded enthutiastically, "Yuh uh! My mom started talking to yours at the store your mom works at, and now they're friends."

"Huh," Maisie hummed, before a small smile tugged at her lips. "Maybe we could be friends, too?" She asked hesitantly, hiding her anxiety by fidgeting with her fingers. She hoped he would say yes. He seemed nice and fun, great first friend material in her opinion. It would be awfully humiliating if he said no, since she would have to sit next to him for the rest of the school year, remembering the rejection.