The Birthing

On a rainy day it began, all of a sudden, people were there one moment, gone the next. There were cries for their mothers, whimpering and screams. Then there was total silence and the aftermath of blood and carnage. Whatever was doing the snatching up and devouring, was mostly invisible. All you could make of it was from the rain finding its outline, which was an unrecognizable figure. Hard to say if it is humanoid or not. Whatever it is, it became the top of the food chain and with it came very heavy rains that seemed to attempt to wash the blood away. Rains that have turned red from all the bloodshed.

Rains that never stop, except one day. After 2 weeks of nonstop blood rains, it stopped for about 40 minutes. People ran outside thinking the nightmare was over, only it wasn't. The rains kicked back in so fast, they didn't even realize they were already dead. There was literally, a bloodbath. We know so little about them. All I know is that they devour a human in a few seconds flat, they only move about in rain, and they seem to be quite intelligent, and yet they won't or can't come inside buildings. Might be that they depend on the rain in some way. Also sound attracts them, sudden movement, and light. You can look out the window at night, and occasionally see them walking through the rain. Searching for brave or stupid people trying to get away from something they cannot. They're everywhere, only when it rains.

If this is a nightmare, I need to wake up soon because I am now nine months pregnant. Any day now I am due to have a baby. Alone. In my thin walled apartment. Without Andrew, my unborn child's father, who left out for work only a few minutes before all this started. I have prepared, nested, hard. Now all I can do is wait.

A week later, while it was raining, the contractions started. I began breathing, counting and pushing. Over and over. Conscious of my audible levels. Once a groan slipped out much louder than I had anticipated. My labor went on for 6 1/2 hours. I am grateful it wasn't longer...the baby started crying profusely the minute she was born. She took awhile to be soothed. She struggled to latch onto my breast. I was terrified, even though the rain demons were outside the thin walls of my apartment. So much could go wrong. Fortunately, this did not happen and giving birth went smoothly.

Days ran into a couple weeks before I even knew it. In that time the rains stopped only once for a little over 2 hours. Good thing my daughter, Alexandra, is a pleasant baby as long as I stayed on top on her needs. Her screaming and crying, could not happen. It would attract the rain demons. I mean whether they can come inside of buildings or not you do not want to be on their radar. That much we definitely know about them.

One night Alexandra woke me up crying, I tried my best to sooth her but nothing was working. The rain had stopped. For how long I did not know because it stopped while I was asleep. Something is wrong with my child. I don't know what to do but I desperately need help. There's a hospital right down the street, no more than a mile. Surely I can make it.

I take Alex to the garage and get in my car. The car started right up. I press the garage opener, I fearfully expected it to have started back raining but it had not. I ease out of the garage, and dart out on to the street. There was no traffic other than a few other desperate people speeding off into the distance. The town seems so desolate. Abandoned. Cars flipped over; crashed, burned. All empty, with no passengers or drivers. Buildings with twinkling lights, signs that those passengers and drivers were afraid to come out, as I should have been but my screaming baby needs help. Her face is blood red and her cry is one of pain. I am almost halfway there...then a drop of rain hits the windshield. A huge red splattering of death. What do I do now? Go back? I have to go back! As I fiercely spun the car around in the middle of the street, I hit an abandoned car and the impact throws me out the front windshield onto to the street. I can hear Alexandra screaming in excrutiating pain and the hiss of the car radiator. The skin on my back is on fire from the skid on the concrete. My leg is probably broken. Then I see its outline growing closer as the rain begins to pour down unto my face, in my eyes and in my mouth. Rain filled with other people's blood. Why didn't I just stay at home...because my baby needed help.

I did not expect it to look like that. I did not expect it to be so grotesque, so disgusting and smell so foul. The numerous layers of spiny, sharp teeth, blood everywhere, like it had just fed...and now it's about to feast again.