Recap

Hey guys! I know, I know it's been mad long since I last updated and I'm really sorry for keeping you guys waiting. Seriously though, there's been a lot of bumps along the way that kept me from writing, but ugh, don't wanna get into that...

Here's a short recap chapter. You can skip if it if you want, or refer back to this whenever you go like "Wait.. Who's XXXX again?" or "Did XXXX happen?" or "Are XXX and XXX a thing yet?"

Hope this is useful!

Characters:

Emaline (Main)

Ruby (Emaline's best friend)

Marcus (Friend Ema makes at the start of the apocalypse)

Chester (Cute boy, possible love interest of Ema ;) Used to be her enemy)

Misty (Chester's girlfriend, who can be a little unfriendly to Ema)

Bryce (Chester's best friend)

Fatboy (Chester's other pal who plays football with him)

Fae (The little girl Ema saved)

Nikki (Fae's loyal Jack Russell Terrier)

Tim, Brad (Ema and Ruby's best friends)

Killer (The soldier Ema met at the start in the school building, whose real name is Harold and is a Sergeant in the army)

Ronney, Smash (Other soldiers, in the same team as Killer)

What happened so far:

The zompocalypse strikes while Ema is looking after a sick Ruby in the school dormitory and her other best friends, Tim and Brad, are out at a bar named Mars Express. The school dormitory is placed on lockdown, and while trying to escape, Ema and Ruby runs into Marcus, Chester, Misty, Bryce, Fatboy, Killer, Ronney and Smash. Together, they fight the undead and break out of the building, only to find that the outside isn't faring too well too either.

Killer, Ronney and Smash leave the group to find the rest of their troops. The rest of the group make their way to Mars Express, hoping to find Tim and Brad there. On the way, they took shelter in a luxurious house, where they encounter a zombie child. Ema lays the zombie child to rest after killing her.

Chester later steals the child's diary. Ema catches him reading it, is disgusted, and they fight. The diary reveals how the child was being ignored by her parents, and left to fend for herself. Chester was especially upset over it, and Ema ends up comforting him and they make up.

The gang sets off for Mars Express again in the morning. They come across an SUV and Marcus attempts to hotwire it, but he needs a screwdriver. While searching for a screwdriver, Ema hears someone's call for help. She runs to the person's aid and finds a young girl and her pet trapped in a house surrounded by zombies trying to break in. She distracts them and tries to lead them away so that Fatboy can go in and get the kids when the zombies are gone. Ema eventually runs into a dead end, and was about to shoot herself when Chester arrives and kills the remaining zombies. They have another touching moment.

Ema is introduced to the kids, Fae and her pet dog, Nikki. Then, they're back on the road again. And they finally reach Mars Express, where there is no Tim and Brad, and Ema finds Tim's watch as well as the bar's band who she was friends with who have all turned into zombies. Ema kind of zones out from the shock, and Chester has to haul her ass to safety.

The gang hits the road towards Nebraska. They decided to rest in a farm. But then a horde comes along, and because it was too late to make a break for the car, the gang decides to lay low in the house, keep quiet and wait for the horde to pass through. However, they had to hear the horses and chickens being eaten alive by the zombies. This causes much distress for Fae.

When morning rose again and there were lesser zombies around the house because some had moved along, the gang makes a break for the car. But when they reached the car, they find that Fatboy, who was taking watch in the car when the horde came and hence ended up hiding in it away from the rest of the gang, had locked the car from inside and refuses to open up. Ema smashes the window and the gang gets into the car after a serious close call with the zombies. Fatboy later claims that he had gotten so freaked out by a weird zombie with red eyes who looked like she was leading the herd that he just lost his wits about him.

The gang travels to Lincoln, another town devastated by the apocalypse. They run into another horde, and were chased down into a warehouse, where Ema is attacked by a zombie and suffered scratches. It was almost the end of the line for them, when a helicopter came and the troops on it fired at the zombies, killing all of them. The troops were suspicious of Ema, because of the blood on her face, and thought she was infected. Chester steps into speak up for Ema, and amidst the fear and confusion, one of the troops fired at Ema. Chester takes the bullet for her and ends up seriously injured. Then, a surprising figure steps down from the helicopter to put an end to the drama and it is revealed to be Killer a.k.a Sergeant Harold. Killer orders everyone up on the chopper and promises that if Ema shows any signs of turning, he will put her down on the spot.

They fly to the Safehouse, an abandoned military airbase. Ema is separated from the gang and is put on the "trial period", which lasts 3 days as she had superficial wounds that carry risk of zombie infection. There, she meets Dr Amelia, and Vanessa, another survivor on trial. She finds out from Vanessa that she had ran into Tim and Brad in Mars Express on the first day of the apocalypse and they were together for a while, trying to escape into Nebraska too. Unfortunately, she got separated from them and was the only one rescued by the troops.

Ema and Vanessa bond together. But at night, Vanessa turns. Dr Amelia puts her down, and Ema buries her. She promises Vanessa that she would tell her boyfriend, Ryan, that she would have said Yes to his marriage proposal if Ema ever meets Ryan.

While Ema mourns over Vanessa, Ruby comes and cheer her up. She brings Ema to meet Chester after convincing Flux, who was supposed to keep an eye on Ema in case Ema turned as well, to leave Ema to her. Chester was still recovering from his shot shoulder, and they have a nice talk with each other.

They return to the hospital, where Dr Amelia gives them a harsh scolding for wandering around carelessly and is especially mean to Flux, who turns out to be her son. It is also hinted that Dr Amelia has been through a lot of shit herself and her experiences somehow made her feel like she needs to toughen Flux up for his own good.

Three days are finally over!!! Ema is released from her cell. And what happens next is followed in the next chapter...