"I don't know (Y/n)! I just-"

Their name rolled off the foxes tongue roughly. Almost in anguish at what she had just done, she didn't think, no words could express how much of a set back that they had just placed themselves.

(Y/n) (Y/Ln), a fangless excuse of a Diamond back's rattle snake and a King cobra. Both dangerous beings making a very harmless child. Having the side wings from her mother and the diamond imprinted markings on their back from her father. A unique concept, a terrifying concept, yet...

A deep sigh had left (Y/n) nostrils, head shaking slowly before slithering to the couch, patting the surface next to them.
"Sit down, we need to talk about this..."

Diane kept her head down, many thoughts running through her head while shuffling her paw pads to the couch. Sitting down, playing with the dark hand gloves that gave her immense grip.
Till, she felt a gentle grip from her slithery friend, her tail resting against her wrist, sparkling eyes looking up at Diane's honeyed emerald pools.

"Diane, talk to me. If you were just not feeling it tonight, we could always try another night."
(Y/n) reassured, her eyes trying to search for anything. But, what she saw was a pool of uncertainty, then, her eyes closed and shook her head.

"No, I... I don't wanna do this anymore."
She asserted, a sure nod to herself.

"What!?" (Y/n) hissed, confused and shocked. Head craning to try and find their friends face, to find something, Anything! As to why Diane would be backing out now.

"What do you mean you don't wanna do this anymore! We've worked extremely hard to get here! What's gotten into you?? Are you sick? Running a fever?"
The King Diamond snake had placed her tail against the foxes forehead, warm, but not burning.

"We have been outside in the cold for a bit..." (Y/n) bit down in thought. Only to be swayed by Diane's laughter from her friends worry.

"(Y/n), hon, I'm not sick, and I don't have a cold." She smiled, her soft paw pads running over her tail as if to signify holding a hand.

(Y/n) had eyed Diane suspiciously, eyebrow raised and eyes casting the foxes figure, which only made the Vixen laugh harder.
"Diane stop it. If you laugh any harder you'll choke."
(Y/n) flicked their forked black tipped tongue for a short second.

Diane breathed in, catching her breath without trying to cry tears.
"I'm sorry! Sorry, it's just," She breathed only once more.

" I know, I know. Don't get your tail in a twist fox. What'd ya wanna eat? We did just climb that very tall building in the freezing cold for absolutely nothing what so ever." The snake spat, though her anger would dissolve shortly once they've gotten a bite to eat.

Diane had changed into something more comfortable, more warmer, her pad pressing the button for the heater to keep the flat warm.

"Hm.. eggs and a nice cup of tea sounds nice."

(Y/n) snorted, opening the fridge.
"Eggs again Diane? Seriously, you need to cut back girl."

Diane blew a swift raspberry at her friend before towering over the door to the open fridge.
"Hey, there's nothing wrong with eggs? It has a lot of nutritions for a growing fox like me." Diane smiled, while (Y/n) rolled their eyes before grabbing the carton of eggs.

Once the sizzling pan of eggs had been served on a plate for Diane to munch on, (Y/n) started on the tea.

"So... If your not going to be the crimson paw anymore... What's your plan?" Their voice was soft over the boiling water of the kettle. Tail holding the tea bags.
Diane's eyes slid over to (Y/n)'s figure.

"Well... I want to start off fresh."

The serpent raised a brow at that.
"What's your game fox?"
She drawled, wanting her to explain further.

"I don't know?? I could run for mayor?" The suggestion almost made (Y/n) choke on their tongue with laughter. The base of her body smacking the kitchen counter before abruptly stopping cold in their tracks when she saw Diane's glare.

"What?" (Y/n) tested, before Diane glared even harder.

(Y/n) groaned with a hard roll of their eyes. " If you really wanna sign up for it. It's a lot of work Diane, are you sure...?"
The worry settled in the base of their voice.
But Foxington's bright and determined look had only doubled.

"Don't worry about me! I've got this (Y/n), and you know... I could use a vice Mayor by my side. What do you say old friend?"

The question hit (Y/n). Hard.
"Me?? A Vice Mayor?? Noooo nonononono." The snake shook her head agressively, taking the kettle away from the fire quickly before the water evaporates from the heat.

"What? Why not?! Your smart, you can definitely hold your own. You have leadership skills,"
Diane got up from her seat, feet padding the ground trying to follow (Y/n) while she was making the tea with her hands clasped, pleading.

"I can't Diane! Look at me! Do you really think the people want a snake to be one of their Mayor's? NO!" (Y/n) fought back. Pouring the scolding hot water into two cups, just before Diane grabbed the two teabags from the counter.
(Y/n) just glared before shaking her head, going to open the counter to get more teabags.
"Really Diane, I could just get more tea ba-"
Only to be met with absolutely zero teabags in the stashed box.

Her eyes snapped to the fox who held the jar full of the delicious chamomile leaves, running out of the kitchen.

"DIANEEE!!!!"

(Y/n) yelled at the top of her lungs before slithering after the tricky fox in the house, being mindful of her surroundings to not drop anything.
Diane hopped from the ground to the top of the couch then up and over to jump behind it and run.
"You could definitely make a great Mayor if you just show them your pretty smile!"

"NO! Absolutely not! What has gotten into you Diane! You know I don't like it when people don't see my fangs!" (Y/n) growled, the snake going under the coffee table to wrap around the Vixens leg to topple her.

Her body gliding along hers to hold her down and snatch the teabags.
"Uuuuugh. Fiiiiine you got me, but still... Listen to me for a sec."
Diane's voice grew soft, just as (Y/n) uncoiled.

(Y/n)'s eyes glowered, darkening only slightly in thoughts before a paw had reached to touch their round face. Their wings on the sides of her head and body coming to close around her, making her look just like a Diamond back.

"Your smile is just as beautiful as you are. And I'm saying this, not just as a friend, but as your family. You'll be amazing (Y/n), just you wait."

A soft sigh escaped (Y/n)'s mouth, her eyes looking up. Almost in tears. But, she wouldn't let them fall, shaking her head.

"So... We're really doing this? We're going good?"

Diane's charming smile swept across her face.

"Yeah. We're going good, (Y/n)."