Butterfly

I woke up and pulled the pillow over my head. My body was so sore and my head was pounding.

Werewolf.

Beside me, sound asleep, was Charlie.

I'm a Werewolf.

The word gnawed on my conscious.

Charlie is a werewolf... my mom is. My dad was a werewolf.

I twirled one of his curls around my finger, admiring how he was even more handsome asleep.

I was startled by my alarm ringing, echoing so loudly that it felt as if my head would explode. I reached out to hit the snooze button and heard a sharp crack. Puzzled, I stared at the pieces of my demolished alarm clock.

Charlie awoke, rolling over and asking, "What happened?"

"I just tapped it." I said softly.

Frowning, I flexed my sore hand into a fist.

"You will get used to it." He chuckled softly. "Get a shower, you'll feel better."

My floors creaked as I walked into my bathroom. I caught myself in the mirror.

I hardly looked like myself anymore.

"Messy buns never fail!" I told myself as I pulled my hair up and applied mascara.

I could help it, but the longer I looked at myself the more I felt like an alien. My new green eyes sparked back it me.

I gave Charlie a kiss on the cheek, then grabbed my school bag and a jacket, and went down stairs to find everyone comfortably sitting around the kitchen island eating.

"Who's coming to school wth me today?" I asked.

Sam and Shay got up with looks of annoyance.

"Make sure you help them today, Melanie!" Mom said sternly.

I scrolled through my phone while we waited for the car to heat up. Pete had sent me a goodnight text.

I deleted it.

"So you're dating a human?" Sam asked as we drove.

"Pete." I replied.

"You know that we are programmed killing machines, right Mel?" Shay said. His head was against the window with his brows furrowed together.

"It's so hard enough for me to be near humans, let alone date one." Sam said, watching a couple who was strolling down the sidewalk.

"I've never had any issues with wanting to eat people."

"Just wait till you go full wolf."

As we pulled into the school, shay turned away from the window and pulled his hood down over his head "All these fucking people." Shay moaned in a tired voice.

I parked in my usual spot and looked back in my mirror at him. "Are you ok?" I asked, slightly worried.

"They are driving me fucking nuts." He grabbed his book bag and shook his head as he opened the door.