Chapter 31 - Better than our Best Part

Jennie POV

So this is how being on cloud 9 feels like -- euphoric, unmitigated ecstasy, feeling high without even taking any substances; the seventh heaven. Like everyone has vanished all of a sudden and all I can hear are the echoes of the last words she said "I love you, Nini" and a long bleeping sound in my ears with my own heartbeat that is almost deafening.

All of a sudden my fears were overpowered by these strong feelings that I can no longer control. I feel bubbles in my stomach, shivers on my skin, and flutters in my chest all because I'm delighted, ecstatic, thrilled, and anxious all at once but surprisingly there is calmness behind every emotion combined.

It's loud and clear, not over the phone or I love you behind "I do", or I love you without telling you I love you phrases, it's now somehow tangible, solid, the only thing missing that I would like to hear from her.

Now I can really say, she finally got there.

But...

The worst part behind these emotions combined? You wouldn't know how to react, well at least for me. I just don't know how to. Like, you want to say something but there's no exact word for it, you want to scream at top of your lungs but nada. Your mouth and throat ran dry making it hard for you to spit even a single word out. And next thing I did was the most stupid thing to do after hearing the words I'd been waiting for.

I ended up giving her a big slap on her face, hard.

She was stunned so was I.

"I...fuck, I'm sorry" that's all I can say while scratching my neck looking down, and wandering on the sand as if I'm looking for something. I never heard anything from her. I'm not looking but I can feel that she's rubbing the side of her face dumbfounded, confused, shocked. Well, I am too.

"Fuck" again, I hiss clenching my fists.

The next thing I did was probably the only option most people have after doing such a thing, walking away. I walked out with trembling knees trying to figure out why I did that. "Shit, what the fuck did I do? Of all initial reactions, why slap her?"

"Nini" I heard her call, but I continue walking fast with small steps, trying my hardest not to trip on the sand.

"Jennie!" she called again but I kept going until I got inside the villa and go straight to Papa's cellar to get a bottle of wine and serve myself a glass to make myself calm. I chug it all at once. "Why the fuck did I do that?"

I waited for her assuming that she will follow me after what happened but there was no sign that she'll get inside at any minute.

"Shit, what did I do?" I don't know many times I asked myself with that question. I massage my temples with my left hand as I push myself back and forth from the kitchen countertop asking the same question over and over again yet I can't find any answer. Still, no trace of Lisa inside the villa.

After a glass or two still no sign of a tall, dark brown-haired, and doll-faced woman inside. Where did she go?

"How could you ruin such an amazing moment, Jennie Kim!" I mutter as I refill my glass. I already consumed more than half of the bottle but still, no Lisa getting in. So, I decided to finally call her and she immediately picked up.

"Hey" she softly said.

"H-hey" I shot back. I heard her scoff. "Where are you?" I asked with a slight slur.

"Outside the front door. Can I... come in?"

"I'm sorry, I... I don't know why I did that." Lisa chuckled, then I saw her slowly open and peek through the front door without disconnecting our call.