𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎 - THE DISTRACTION

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ THE DISTRACTION

WHEN DAY TURNED TO NIGHT, Rosie's theory about certain places being scarier at night-time was proven right once again. A public pool is normally a very standard, albeit pretty gross, place. It had kids running around and parents sipping cokes and teenagers gossiping under the sun. But once the skies darkened, its once sweet qualities morphed into something more eery. When it was dark, the waters no longer looked inviting, but like a luminous portal into another world.

They were supposed to trick Billy into being locked in the sauna, a sort of test that would determine whether he was the Mind Flayer's new host.

Because he likes it cold.

Rosie was mentally bracing herself behind the lockers, Max's hands folded in hers as they waited for Billy to finish his long shower (that man was a big fan of wasting water, huh? He was taking forever!). That was when the water stopped running, and they heard wet footsteps and a locker opening, alerting them that the plan was ready to be set in motion.

Mike slammed a metal door, sending a scraping echo throughout the men's locker room.

First a grunt, then an irritated: "Pool's closed."

Hearing the results, Rosie watched as Mike did it again, clearly fighting a smug smile as he tormented Billy.

"Hey," He called, his irritation morphing into a rage, "Do you hear me? Pool is closed!" He slammed his locker, and Rosie winced as she heard him angrily stomp towards the exit, only to find it was locked. She heard him pull on the door a couple times as if trying to will his way out, that was until phase two of the plan was initiated.

"Billy!" Mike called into a walkie-talkie, his words emanating from another strapped to a dummy.

"Who's there?" Billy replied, voice low and questioning.

"Billyyyyy!"

"Who's thereeeee?" He mocked as Rosie peeked out from her hiding spot, watching as he etched closer and closer to the sauna room near the gym. She flinched as he slammed open a shower curtain, revealing nothing by empty space.

Mike cackled impishly into the walkie-talkie, seemingly revelling in his teasing, "Billy! Billy!"

"You think this is funny, huh?" Billy asked, which only made Mike pretend to laugh harder.

"Billy!" He beckoned, "Come and find me...!"

El pushed the door open slightly from the other side, making it seem as though this disembodied voice had escaped to the gym.

"I find you, it is your funeral," Billy snapped, his eye landing on the planted evidence.

"Come and get me," Mike continued, urging him to finish phase two for them, "Come on!"