Crush

Kei (First Year)
9am, Monday Morning

I have a crush on Kageyama Tobio. He caught my eye the first time I saw him. Am I being serious? I don't know myself. Crushes are like a phase. They come and go, but for some they don't.

I had a few crushes before but never confessed to any of them. Like I said, it was a phase. After weeks or months, I didn't find them interesting anymore. So I'll just let this slide like the rest.

When did it start? I'm not so sure myself. I tease him all the time. I like getting on his nerves. I stalked him once on his social media. We fight most of the time. I think he probably hates me and I guess it's for the best.

Classes are over, and volleyball practice is about to start. After changing my clothes, I did some stretches with Tadashi since we were quite early.

"You like Kageyama, don't you?" Tadashi said.

"What made you jump to that conclusion?" I said calmly.

"You might bully him a lot, but your eyes don't lie Kei."

"And so? It'll pass. "

"Whatever you say, just be nice with the guy for once, kay?"

be nice? How nice do you want me to be? Me and him being friends is impossible! Even the team thinks that way. After a few stretches, Kageyama and Hinata finally arrived. 

"You two, why are you guys late?" Daichi-san asked.

"Sorry! The teacher just had a word with us about..grades," Hinata responded while his head was facing down.

"Okay, well get dressed, 10 laps around the court before joining us."

The two headed into the locker room to get dressed, and the rest of us started choosing teams. After Kageyama and Hinata finished their laps, we started the practice match.

I and Kageyama were on the same team, which is annoying. He nags me about my blocking every goddamn time. I try to keep my cool and focus on the game, but my patience is testing me. After a few matches, my fingers started to hurt.

Why am I even a blocker in the first place? I hate this. A time-out was called for a water break. Kageyama then suddenly approached me, which startled me a bit.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"No." I said while looking down and messaging my fingers.

"Ah. I see, stay there. I'll just get something. " He said, then headed to his bag.

I stood there, not knowing what to do. What's he going to do? and it is kind of awkward for me to be standing in the middle of the court while the others are at the side. Seconds later, Kageyama came back with kinesio tape.

"Give me your hand." He commanded, so I followed.

He took my hand, which made me flinch a bit. He started to wrap the tape around my middle and ring fingers. My heart was beating like crazy and more sweat started to drip down my body. I was frozen in place. 

"You do this since you're a blocker; it's also for safety," he explained while continuing.

"So the king cares?" I said in a smug tone.

"For the love of God, stop calling me that! And now it's finished. Now don't mess up on the next game. "

He said while looking up at me. Oh. He does have pretty eyes. His bangs are cute too. I gulped and snapped out of it.

"Yeah, whatever." I averted my eyes and headed to my bag for water.

I sat on the floor and chugged my water bottle. After drinking, I placed both my hands on my hair while facing down to reflect on what the fuck happened. Tadashi sat next to me, giggling a bit.

"What do you want?" I said, then raised my head.

"You guys had a little sweet moment there."

"Shut up! Please, it's embarrassing. "

"Oh sure, anyways, hurry up, the next match is about to begin." You don't want Kageyama to wait. "

Yamaguchi grinned, then stood up. I rolled my eyes and stood up. It's just part of the game. Kageyama is a volleyball addict. He knows all sorts of things. Of course, he would be mindful of someone's safety. It doesn't mean anything.

Tobio (First Year)
5pm, Monday Afternoon

A time-out was called, and for the past matches, I noticed Tsukishima was not doing his blocks so well. I asked him if he was alright and he just blatantly said no. I noticed he was messaging his fingers, which gave me an idea.

He's a blocker, so this happens a lot. I went to my bag to grab my kinesio tape. I started to wrap the tape to keep his middle and ring fingers together for more support.

"You do this since you're a blocker; it's also for safety," I explained while continuing.

"So the king cares?" He said in a smug tone.

"For the love of God, stop calling me that! And now it's finished. Now don't mess up on the next game. "

I looked up at him and he looked at me. Why is he looking at me like that? Is there something on my face? Before I could say a word He quickly averted his eyes and walked away.

I was confused but didn't think much about it. I went back to my bag, then Shoyo approached me.

"What was that about?" he asked.

"What is it?" I said, confusingly.

"Why use it on that tall jerk? You never let anyone borrow your tape."

"He may be an asshole, but if his fingers broke during a practice match, would that benefit us?"

"No..but you don't lend me your-" He said, but I cut him off.

"You have your own right? But Tsukishima doesn't. He'll probably get one after this. "

"Unfair." He mumbled. 

After a few more rounds It was time to go home. While I was packing my stuff, Tsukishima approached me. But he didn't really say anything. I gave him a confused look, then he tried to open his mouth, but nothing came out.

"What's wrong with you?" Do you have anything to say?" I asked.

"I- um, thanks."

"For?"

"A while ago, It helped me a lot."

I laughed a bit and took my bag. "I had no idea saying thank you was so difficult for you."

"Oh please it's just this time." He averted his eyes again.

"See you tomorrow, Tsukishima, and buy your own tape next time. I'm never doing that for you again. "

"In your dreams, King." He rolled his eyes and left. 

Kei (First Year)
5:30pm, Monday Afternoon

It's the first time I saw him smile at me like that. My heart was thumping like crazy and my stomach felt tingly. It's okay, this will fade sooner or later. This doesn't mean anything.

Oh God it keeps repeating in my head. Please make it stop.