210: History Holds Us Tightly

Start from the beginning

"No other Crescent's should have."

The hybrids usually first.

"God," Ryan's words slowed, "That felt weird to say."

"You're still adapting," She mused, then hesitated, "If they're not a Crescent?"

"They're about to go animal in a public place."

"Call MJ?"

"Quite possibly," He winced, "Rena!"

Quickly asking her to do it.

"Do you wanna talk to him? I can stay on the phone in case – "

"You still got that gun from MJ?"

"Yeah."

"Stay on the phone," Mati was waiting for her son, not in the mood to have a different werewolf smash through her house, "Creepers get shot in my books."

Ryan laughed nervously, rooting through the kitchen drawers on the way to find the weapon she'd mentioned. Listening as the door opened with a creak. The evening air grounding them in reality.

"You gonna knock?" Mati slipped the phone into her back pocket, "Or should I be calling the police?"

Levi's head turned towards her slowly.

Mechanically.

Like if he moved any faster, his neck would snap in half, dry blood on his chin, letting her eyes inspect the deepness of his wounds and hesitate. He was hurt. They could very well be why he was acting so strange – claws were the obvious cause in her mind.

Mati stared into yellow, "You looking for help?"

"You have an animal problem."

She pursed her lips.

"There," His head tilted towards a long scratch on the inside of the fence, "Wolf."

Mati played dumb, "Wolves?"

"That ring," He stepped towards her, "Magic."

Her fingers twitched, moonlight ring sized specifically for her thumb, black stone pressed into a light silver band.

"Take it off."

"What?"

His footsteps became heavier, "Take it off."

"I'm gonna ask you to get a grip," She stepped back into the threshold, "Sir – "

Levi lunged forward, moving like an animal to pounce down the footpath to the door, only to be slammed back by a protective barrier, pressing his face into it as he panted. Any sense of strict control lost, cheek rubbing up the invisible line despite how it made his flesh start to burn.

Red and stretched, and bubbling until –

"I know transformations aren't easy," Mati spoke, "But I can help – "

He roared as a bone snapped in his back, lurching away from the line to crouch on the floor, pulling at his eyes like he might rip his lashes out.

"I can take you somewhere, but you need to fight for – "

"The young one."

A phrase that made her blood still.

"There's a wolf somewhere in this house."

It was like her ears were ringing, watching how his arms clicked like a toy who'd been locked into place, pulling him back to his feet.

"I can smell them."