PART 15 - NORTH VALLEY WOODS

COLE

The rainstorm is making this drive a fucking nightmare, but there is literally no way I can wait till the morning to get Alice away from her dad's farm. As soon as she passed out, I shifted and scooped her up in my arms and took her into her dad's house out of the rain. After laying her down on the sofa I head back outside to have it out with Jay.

I flip down the mirror and take a quick look at the damage to my face. Just a split lip and some bruising on my jaw, I roll my eyes and flip the mirror back up. It's nothing compared to what I did to him. My wounds will heal by the time we get to North Valley Woods situated on the far side of the reserve; I can't say that his will heal as fast.

Pulling my concentration back to the forest road I scrunch my eyes to try and see past the window wipers that are swiping madly at the rain that is bouncing off the car. The North side of the reserve is less populated than the south where the packhouse and town resides, only a handful of wolves live this way, the loners of the pack.

The truck hits a deep pothole, I glance over to Alice as she gives out a little yelp before rubbing her eyes awake and slowly looks around taking in her surroundings before her eyes connect with mine and I give her a small smile.

"Hey." I say gently, not knowing how she'll be with me.

Keeping my promise not to shift back at the farm nearly fucking killed me, I've never been so conflicted with my wolf in my entire life. But I just couldn't break her trust again, I knew they'd be no going coming back from that if I didn't do as she asked.

"Hi...umm...where are we going?" She questions quietly as she chews her bottom lip nervously.

"Somewhere safe." I promise her.

She nods accepting my words before she leans her head back against the head rest. This is progress. I'm glad it's not just my wolf she trusts, it's me too.

I can feel Alices eyes still watching me carefully, so I pull my eyes from the road and side glance at her once more. Fuck, she's beautiful. Even in this dishevelled state she's breath taking.

"Whatcha looking at? You see more Owls Wonderland?" I grin at her, trying to lighten the mood.

A small smile passes her lips. "I was just wondering... what you're wearing?" She says quietly, but I can hear humour in her voice that makes my wolf happy.

Looking down, I bark out a laugh. "What? You don't think I look good in your dads' old clothes? I'm a bit bigger than him I guess." I say as I look at the sweats that come up to my calves and his shirt doesn't even button up it's that tight.

"My dad gave you clothes?" Alice says raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, the downside of being a shifter. Shredding clothes when in a hurry and having to loan other wolfs fucking clothes." I sigh animatedly, enjoying seeing Alice start to relax.

"That's a shame, you did look good in that suit." Alice says quietly, before she looks away when she realises what she's just admitted. That adorable pink flush hitting her cheeks.

"I'm sorry about your dress, you looked beautiful in it also." I say honestly. Alice continues to stare out the window, but I can see her smiling in the reflection making me smirk.

After a few moments she turns back to me, sitting up a little now in the chair. "Was... was he OK when we left? Did he give you his truck too? Or did you just take it?"

"He loaned me the truck." I assure her and see the relief on her face. Even though she's rightfully pissed at her father, she obviously still cares for him. "Your dad was OK, he healed by the time we left. He's packed you a bag of clothes as well, they're in the trunk. He's keen to talk to you, but I told him to stay away until you're ready."

Alice nods her head, seemingly happy with that plan.

"...and Beta Jay..." I begin to say.

"I don't want to talk about him." Alice suddenly snaps.

I shift my eyes from the road once more to look at her, those huge does eyes of hers filling up with tears once more. Just that look alone makes me wish I'd done even more damage to Jay this evening. That breaking his ribs and nose just wasn't enough.

"OK." I agree, before turning back to the road just in time to see the turn off I need to take.