PART 12 - CATEGORY THREE

ALICE

Beta Jay wasted no time pulling me into his arms for a dance as soon as we entered the hall. The ballroom was unbelievably busy and if I'm honest I'm finding it all a little overwhelming.

I should've prepared myself for the number of stares I'd be getting, after all I'm a nobody with an unstable wolf and now suddenly I'm on a date with the packs second in command. Not to mention I'm actually in the arms of the Beta Jay, the wolf I've pined for pretty much all my life...so why am I not happier? Why is my wolf so upset with me tonight? She's been agitated since Jay picked me up and it's starting to rub off on me.

As Beta Jay spins me around for the millionth time, I can't help my eyes keep scanning the room to see where Gamma Cole has gone. Since he stepped foot in here I've not spotted him even once. I was surprised he didn't come here with date, I'm sure he could get any she wolf he wanted and yet he turned up with just Alpha Drake. My eyes now shift to the corner where the Alpha is stood laughing with some high-ranking warriors, but still no Gamma even there.

Where the fuck did he go? Oh god is he off somewhere fucking someone. I shouldn't give a shit, right?

But just the idea makes me feel sick.

Everyone staring and whispering at me makes me feel sick.

I halt dancing abruptly making Beta Jay frown at me. "Hey, are you OK? You seem...a little distracted." Jay questions.

"Can we go somewhere a little quieter please?" I beg, the room just seems to be getting smaller and smaller and the music seems to be getting louder. My head is spinning. I need fresh air before I vomit from the anxiety that's forming in the pit of my stomach.

A wide grin stretches across Jay's face at my suggestion, and he pulls me away to a room just outside the ballroom that looks like a large cloak room. As soon as the door closes, Jay leans in for another kiss thinking that's why I want to be alone with him. Frowning at him, I push him back and walk to the other side of the room to try and get some breathing space.

"Alice? What's wrong?' Jay asks with concern.

I take some deep breathes in and out to try and calm down. Jay walks closer to me, but I raise a hand telling him to stop.

"It's just...It's just all a bit much." I admit breathlessly. "Do you not see how people were staring at us? Whispering about us? It's because of me. Everyone's wondering why the Beta of all people is dancing with someone who's wolfs a three, a danger to the pack. This isn't...this isn't gonna work. You deserve to be here with someone else. I'm just going to embarrass you." I stutter out.

"Alice." Jay says gently as he puts his large hands around my arms and pulls me closer.

"I have wanted you for as long as I can remember. You're so fucking sexy I can't take it. I only stayed away because that's what your father wanted. But you're eighteen now, you're no longer his responsibility. So, don't worry about the category three register, I'll sort it. I'll get it changed... then perhaps maybe you'd consider being my beta fem..."

I pull back sharply from Jays grasp and study his face for a moment. "What did you say?" I mutter. "How can you change the register; do you mean you'd reassess my wolf?" I quiz him.

Jay smiles at me again. "No baby, I'd just change it. Then we could be together, just like you always wanted, right?"

I blink a few times, trying to take on what he's saying. Is that fucking easy? Being marked as a category three ruined my whole fucking childhood and Jay's making sound like it's nothing, no big deal. I pace around the room, my wolf growling in my head.

"If it was that easy to change, why are you only doing it now?" I seethe.

Jays smile finally falters.

He huffs out an irritated breath as if I'm being over the top to question him about this then strolls back to the door. "Listen Alice, this isn't the right time to talk about this. Let's go back to the dance and have a few drinks and we'll talk about this tomorrow. Ok?" He tries to placate me as he opens the door and flicks his head towards the dance floor.

Is this guy seriously going to trivialize what this means to me!

Screw the fucking Ball!

"No, I want to talk about this now." I say firmly.

Jay rolls his eyes. "I'm the packs Beta, I'm across the paperwork for everything. I can change anything I want, OK? You should be grateful. Now can we just fucking drop this and go back to the dance..."

My wolf suddenly surges in rage, and I shoot forward with lightning speed, slamming Beta Jay to the ground. "Fuck you!" I roar in his shocked face before racing out the door.