Forbidden Pastime

Start from the beginning

Eugene lets out a laugh, it chimed at the quiet nether world. Despite the dark environment, everything between the two held a warmth of comfortable friendship waiting to build. "It's the mad scientist." Eugene answers quickly as though it was a fact and Akemi let out a hum of finally understanding everything.

"Ara~ so that explains it..." Eugene slowly nods at her words with a click of his tongue, the memories surfaced in his head and deep inside felt a disappointed acceptance. Both people (Akemi and Eugene) felt humorous at the thought.

"So," With her hands clasped in front of her, Akemi spoke out breaking the humorous occasion yet not the comfortable atmosphere. "Why did you call me?"

Eugene lets out a sigh as though finally giving out a breath of relief for the first time. "I need help," Eugene stated yet he wasn't finished. "And it wasn't me who called you."

"Then who?"

Eugene gave her a soft gaze, one that Akemi will always remember. "Your parents were a great company at my stay here. I never felt lonely."

"My parents...?"

~~~AKEMI AND MAI~~~

"Are you sure you are okay, Akemi-sempai?" Mai asks the heiress once more who walked beside her with a hand wrapped around her arm. The two making their way to the Biology Room when none were too excited to fetch the camera batteries.

"Not really..." Akemi admits, a short frown befalling her face before removing it from sight with a tight smile. "But I'm sure I would be after this case is finally finished."

After Akemi's separation from the crew earlier, they realized Akemi's lack of presence and went to find her only for the heiress to reveal herself walking down the steps with a hand on the handle to guide her way. Considerably tired and weak.

They only took a short rest, making Akemi learn of Mai and Masako's joint vision of Sakauchi's disappearance while she was gone. At the notice of that, Akemi remained quiet. The voice of Sakauchi's pleading still loud on her ears, but the memory of him were slowly going to a stop— making Akemi sure that he was fully devoured.

But that was not the full reason why she wasn't okay.

"You were pretty tired, huh?" Mai tried to change the glum atmosphere and maybe remove her slight fear with a light conversation; Akemi willingly followed Mai's direction.

"Well, spirits tend to use energy to connect to the living world— for their voices to be heard in microphones or moves things like poltergeist, spirits would need maximum amount of energy to be able to perform and as you and the others know, I have enormous amount flowing out of me."

"Is that what Naru meant by a moth to a flame?"

Akemi nods, "In a way they see me as a source of light in the dark— Yes."

"And what about the bee to a stranger thing?"

"Mostly those are for poltergeists or dark entities— but they see my spiritual energy as something deadly to them. Spiritual energy is what an exorcist needs and use when doing exorcisms it is what they exude every time which makes them so tired. In a way, its both a curse and a blessing..."

'To both parties I would suffice.'

"Ohh..." Mai hums, nodding when they finally reach the Biology room. "Here we are, sempai."

'It's just picking up a tape and bringing it back to the conference room! Sheesh! What would you do if I refused to do these odd jobs?!' Mai pouts suddenly remembering the avoidance of the whole crew present to checking the tapes.