P R O L O G U E

"Mrs. Martin can you please send Bailey Grimes to the front office, and please make sure that she brings her stuff" The front office lady says over the intercom. Bailey's teacher motions for her to get up. She grabs her things as she gets up and she walks out the door. 

As she is walking down the hallway, she sees someone that hardly ever picked her up. She then knew that something was wrong. She jogs the rest of the way down the hallway. She stands in front of someone that she has consider uncle since she was little Shane Walsh.

"What's wrong" Bailey asks her uncle and he looks down at her with tears in his eyes. Bailey then realizes that something has happened to her dad Rick Grimes. They both walk out the door and approach Shane's squad car. 

"Bailey, I don't know how to tell you this, but your dad has been shot and he is in surgery." Shane tells her. He then starts the car and goes to the hospital with his sirens on. As they approach the hospital Bailey get out of the car and runs in. She then sees her mom in the waiting room. 

As Bailey saw her mom, she broke down crying and so did Lori Grimes, Bailey then looks at her little brother Carl and saw that he has tears in his eyes as well. 

"Is daddy, okay?"  Bailey asks her mother as she still in her arms. Lori looks at her daughter and shrugs her shoulders because no one has told her anything. 

As Bailey, Lori, Carl, and Shane are waiting for the doctor to come out they are getting anxious. When the doctor comes out and explains what's going on. "your husband survived the surgery but he did fall into a coma. I don't know when he will wake up or if he will" Lori looks at the doctor and asks him "can you please show me where my husband is" the doctor nods his head and they follow him to the recovery ring of the hospital.

As they are walking down the hallway Bailey looks around and notices that it is very quiet. She then notices that they are stopped at the door in front of her father's room. Lori then rushes in and puts her arms around him even though he is in coma. 

Lori, Bailey, and Carl sit by his bed side for weeks. Bailey and Carl still attend school but everyday after school they are with their father hoping and praying that he will wake up soon. 

One afternoon Bailey goes home before she goes to the hospital. She didn't know that yesterday was the last time that she would see her father, she then thought that she had lost him forever. 

Shane rushes into the Grimes home with Lori and Carl making them get the things that they needed. Bailey is standing there confused as to why she has to pack clothes. 

"Whats going on?" She asks her mother, Lori looks to Shane and her tells her that she needed to hurry that a virus has made people evacuate. She runs up down the hall to her room and grabs the things that she needed. She runs back down the hall and hands her things to Shane and puts them in the car. 

Shane then tells them that he already been to Rick and that he was dead. Bailey and Carl broke down crying looking at their mother she was crying as well. They all get in the car and head to the refugee center. they are driving down Atlanta Road and come to find out there is no camp. 

As they are sitting on the highway the traffic is backed up for miles. Shane is trying to get a signal and Bailey is sitting beside as Carl is playing with a little girl that he had met. Lori is talking to the little girl's mother. 

Shane then decided to walk up the road a way to see if they can find anything. Bailey tells her mother and Lori nods her and she kisses her daughter's head. Bailey then runs up beside Shane wrapping her arm around his forearm so that she doesn't lose him. They get to the edge of the woods to see Atlanta going up in flames. 

She wraps her arms around him and he hugs her back. They go back  up the road to his jeep and then leave to go set up camp. They end up finding a quarry to settle down in for now. 

The only thing Bailey can hope is that she will see her dad again. She never knew that the world would go to shit 2 weeks after her father is shot and ended up in a coma. 

The only thing that she could think of was that she wanted one of her dads' hugs. Maybe she will see him again someday.

********

This is the end of the prologue. for some reason I find that typing in 3rd person is much better. I have already written some parts of this book and then I decided that writing this book in 3rd person is easier. 

- Kaitlyn