Last day of school

El's Pov

Will has not been the same. He seems to be very quiet and I don't understand why. He barely speaks. He is always acting like he is somewhere else in his mind. I have tried to get him to talk but that has only ended in tears. I think he is slowly loosing his mind. The only times he talks is in his sleep and that is very loud. Every night since I hear Joyce saying it's just a dream as Will sobs relentlessly for hours. All of our friends are worried too and as a weird coincidence Betty Ripsom went missing the same day we found on the streets. Did he see something? Does he know something. I haven't had the most peaceful night either. Since that dream originally I have been having constant dreams of a clown. The clown and the deadlights, whatever they are. It's a word that somehow has entered my vocabulary and I don't know how. 

The last day of school arrived and we saw Betty Ripsom's mother waiting outside the school to see if her daughter would show again. I look at Will curiously and see he is uneasy because of this. I wonder if there is a hidden reason apart from the fact that she went missing. I give him a sideways hug hoping it Will help because I know he will tell me eventually. He might have no choice if people keep going missing. I heard Richie say "Sure, in a ditch, all decomposed, covered in worms and maggots smelling like Eddie's mom's underwear". Eddie said "Shutup" but Will looked on the verge of tears. Bill pointed out "she is not dead she is missing" and that made everyone remember Georgie with a pang. We agreed to go to the Barrens to search for Georgie and found Beverly on the way who didn't look too happy. She wouldn't tell us why. What was with all of these secrets? 

As we turned to leave Henry Bowers walked by and started shoving the losers out of his way. He threatened Bill and one of his friends burped on Eddie and I heard one of them say Zombie boy to Will. Then one of them turned to me and made fun of hop. I was raging and was about to lunge at him when the police were staring at us. Bowers walked away while we were all left angry.

We went to the barrens and when we got there Stan would not shutup about poison ivy. "That is poison ivy. That is poison ivy". We finally got to the sewer and I still didn't want to step in. Neither did Beverly, Eddie or Stan. Will did to my surprise. He seemed obsessed with Betty Ripsom since she went missing. It was almost like he felt guilty. Bill, Richie and Will walked into the drain with flashlights and I seen Richie and Eddie fighting again about greywater and Richie and Eddie's mother of having crab's. I heard Will's voice for pretty much the first time while he is awake say something. He said "guys" and everyone looked at him while he carried a shoe that had Betty Ripsom written on the inside. Everyone entered the sewer, even Eddie, to examine the shoe. That was when I knew I needed Will to tell me what happened but before I had a chance to I heard someone shout from outside the sewer. It was Ben Hanscom and he was bleeding. Everyone rushed to his side and all thoughts of Will and Betty left my mind. He explained that Bowers had a knife and tried to carve something into his stomach. We brought him to the drugstore and Ben waited outside while the rest of them go to the drugstore and Beverly distracts the cashier. We all found the right first aid supplies while Eddie got to work. After that we invited Ben to the quarry the next day. The summer was getting dark.