The start of the summer

El's POV

I sat down on the bed in deep thought the next day trying to piece this puzzle together. I felt impossible but didn't it always? How does Russia fit into this? The demogorgons? The clown? How did the clown know my name? Did it have a plan? was it teaming up with the demogorgons? Why do I feel like I will lose? Why do I wish Mike was here while I go through this? The Byers are trying so hard to comfort me and tell them what happened but I could barely stutter a word out. I felt like Bill. One problem I have with all this. Why has poeple just stopped going missing after Georgie. Are we making this up and worried for nothing. It's almost May Maybe summer will be better. Maybe if I pretend again it will stay away. It is not my responsibility to save the world all the time and im getting tired. I will figure out where hop is and concentrate on that. I am sick of being the hero. It will get me killed. It doesn't even look like Hop is with the clown anyway. He is in a cold place that looks like a prison. I will find out and help him because he saved me. Joyce is right. I moved to escape and escape is what ill do. 

Will's POV

It is finally May and school is finishing up for the summer. El is acting weird. She is acting normal the last few weeks after having a dream that made her scream louder than I have ever heard her scream in my entire life. She never even brought up the dream again and mom thinks I imagined the clown a few months ago because it was the day I went missing. They are both in severe denial. I feel a sense of dread as the summer approaches. I have been trying so hard to hide it from the losers but they see my leg jumping up and down out of nerves and they see me jump in fear if they accidentally sneak up on me. Actually, Richie has been doing that a lot because he thinks that it's funny. I am not laughing. 

It was May 24th 1985. I was walking home from school alone today when I see Betty Ripsom  walking home too. She walks up to me and says she is scared to walk home alone because of a bad feeling so I say yes. We walked into her house and she invited me in. Her family weren't home yet and my curfew is still seven so I thought why not. We ate food and chatted for a while. It was fun. Betty then said that she needed to go to the kitchen to wash her hands. I shrugged watched some television while she done that. I heard her talking and assumed she was talking to me so I walked into the kitchen to hear her better. She wasn't in there. I saw the bathroom door wide open while she talked to the sink. I walked towards the bathroom curiously. "who are you talking to?" I asked her nervously. She didn't respond and I felt my heartbeat picking up. Who are you talking to Betty?" I asked a bit louder with my voice shaking slightly. Voices from the sink responded to her as I stood there with my mouth open in horror. I saw a hand with a hand with a white glove reach through a hole being formed in the sink towards her. I wasn't going to stand there this time. I tried to move to do something so I ran towards the bathroom door shouting her name. Whatever was trying to grab her grabbed her arm and she was being pulled into the sewers. I grabbed her other arm just in time and it felt like a life or death game of tug-a-war that unfortunately I was losing. I felt my grip weaken and fell to the floor as the hole in the sink sealed itself and was horrorstruck when blood spattered from the sink all over the bathroom and me. I was too scared to cry and I just sat on the floor of Betty Ripsoms bathroom looking around at the blood staining the walls. I whimpered as I heard from the hole in the sink "will" being whispered. I shakily stood up from the the floor and peered in. Then I looked up and looked around the room and it was like nothing even happened. The only clue was the shiver I felt and the tingle on my neck.

El's POV

Joyce is getting worried because it's seven thirty and Will still isn't home. How could I even think not to be the hero if my family is in danger. Joyce, Jonathan and I were driving around Derry trying to see if he was there. We saw him walking the streets with a look of horror on his face and he was so white and shaking. I knew he probably wouldn't tell us what happened and that we would have to give him space. At least he is safe. That's when I knew I would have to be the hero again.