Vests, Teasing and Nightmares

I quickly stood up and grabbed the sleeping boy by the shoulders. "Shit. Eddie, wake up. Eddie." I moved him. He opened his eyes and knew exactly what was happening. I urged him to the window in the back of the room and opened it. Clumsily, and still half asleep, Eddie climbed out the window.

    "We really need to stop doing this." He joked as his feet hit the grass outside. I quickly closed the window and ran to the front door just in time to see Mr. and Mrs. Evans come in.

    "Y/N, darling. How was everything?" Mrs. Evans asked.

    "Everything was great, Mrs. Evans. Allison is truly a wonderful kid."

    "I'm glad to hear that. I'm guessing she's asleep right now." Said Mr. Evans.

    "Yes, sound asleep."

    "Great. Seems like you really did a great job. We'll make sure to tell all the other parents out there to consider your service."

    "I'd love that. Thank you, Mrs. Evans." She investigated her purse and pulled out twenty-five bucks, which he handed to me. "Thank you so much. I'll get going." I grabbed my bag and, as I walked out, Mr. Evans called my name. I turned around and saw him at the door holding a denim vest with band pins all over it. God.

    "You forgot this."

    "Yes! Sorry, I tend to be forgetful when I'm happy." I said walking back to the house. What kind of excuse was that?

    "You like Black Sabbath?" He said as I took the vest.

    "Yup. Love it." I thought of a way to make this look normal and put on the piece of clothing.

    "Huh. Are you sure that you were wearing that when you arrived? I would've definitely noticed."

    "No, I wasn't wearing it. It was in my bag. I pulled it out because I couldn't reach the rest of my things."

    "Oh, right. Sorry. Have a good night, Y/N."

    I smiled falsely as I walked away from the building. As soon as I lost sight of the house, a dark figure approached me from behind.

    "You tend to be forgetful when you're happy?"

    "Shut it, Munson."

    "Hey, you're the one who said it."

    "And you're the one who forgot his vest." I took it off and gave it back.

    "Thank you. You saved my butt."

    "No. I saved my own butt. I would've been fired and the talk of the town for a month." I walked faster, leaving him behind briefly.

    "Well, it's late. How about we go to my place and relax after a hard day of work."

    "Claudia is expecting me home, and I can't make Dustin cover for me again."

    "How about you use the babysitting excuse. Maybe the parents wanted a second dissert. Or they went on a sudden trip, leaving you with a helpless baby."

    "I want to tell you to shut up, but it actually sounds like a good idea." I slowed my pace.

    "Besides, it's a terrible idea for a lady like you walking by herself in the middle of the night."

    "Funny how you say that when I've had to meet with you in the woods. By myself, may I remind you. Besides, are you suggesting that I spend the night?" I stopped to look at him.

    "Dunno. Only if you want to." He smiled.

    "I really don't want to go back home right now... Okay, I accept your offer. I hope you have some extra pajamas in your trailer though."