An Unfortunate Incident

I met Edward Munson when I was eleven years old. We were not properly introduced or anything, I just noticed him existing around the hallways. I mean, who wouldn't notice him? He was striking. From his looks to the way he would often happily yell. He wasn't trying to keep a low profile like the rest of us freaks. He just didn't care what the rest of us thought. And that was the most noticeable thing about him.

He was two years older than me. So, by the time I built the courage to introduce myself, he had gone to High school. In the rest of the time, I spent in middle school, I didn't saw anyone with Eddies talent to be striking. It was just a ton of young teens trying to survive, and I was one of them. I kept my head low, and my interests hidden. It was safe, but I often wondered if I wanted to keep on living like that. Unfortunately, I didn't stop.

Then, the moment finally came. I graduated Middle school, and I saw him again. His hair was much longer, and he still wore those peculiar clothes I found so intriguing. I was a freshman, and he was a junior, so I was scared as hell about introducing myself. I wasted three years being an absolute coward. Strangely, he was held back two years after when his graduation was supposed to be. And I wouldn't have approached him it if it wasn't by... let's say, a small incident.

I was walking to history class. And let's just say I was already a little late, so I wasn't just going, I was sprinting. I was about to reach my destination, when the door to one of the classrooms slammed open. Thankfully it only made me drop the notebooks I was carrying. On the other hand, my belongings dropped on top of a wet floor. Apparently, the indoor drinking fountain was malfunctioning. I knelt to pick up my now wet papers and I heard him yelling.

"You know what Mrs. Debney? I didn't even want to be in this class today!" Eddie exclaimed as he closed the door.

I had risen my head to yell at him, but when I realized it was him, I froze. Suddenly I saw him take a step backwards as he continued to curse. Just before it happened, I knew what was coming. He tripped with my existence and fell backwards.

Shit.

"Hey! What's your problem, man?" Eddie said as he sat up. He saw who I was and stared confused.

"Hey! You're the one who slammed the door against me." I don't know what got into me. I guess I got carried away by the energy in the room.

Eddie looked at me and his expression softened. His eyes moved to the soaked papers I held and to my now wet jeans. I stood up and offered him my hand. He took it and pulled as he got up.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

"So... I did that?" He asked pointing at the wet notebooks I held against my chest. I nodded. "That's very inconsiderate of me. I apologize."

"You should be sorry. You ruined my art project... I'm sorry for making you fall." I said as I looked into his eyes. I hadn't noticed he had a few freckles.

"No, it was my fault. Look, I'm very sorry about your project. I truly am. Let me make it up to you." He said as a small smile grew on his face. "Meet me after school. In the woods."

"Hmm, I don't think so. I don't go into the woods with strangers." I replied.

"I'm Eddie Munson. I can't give you more than that for now. But I guess that if you went into the woods with this stranger, you could know him better." His smile widened.

"Maybe I'll go." I replied before realizing I was extra late for history class. I started to walk away muttering. "Shit. I have to go."

"Wait, you didn't tell me your name."

"Yeah, I know. I also don't give my name to strangers." I yelled back as I ran off to class.

Of course, I arrived super late to history class, and I got a scolding, but I didn't care. My mind was having an intense war about whether to accompany Eddie to the woods or play it safe and go home. Besides, he was going to "make it up to me"? What did that even mean? I didn't need anything from him. My head was in a full-on crisis. In the end, I decided to give Eddie a chance. I knew what being unfairly judged was like. Besides, it was my chance to get to know him, rather than to just wonder who he was.