Racing, Ice cream and Date Proposals

When we arrived home, Dustin asked me what had happened. He had obviously heard some loud declaration from us both, so I decided to confess.

    "Holy shit, Y/N."

    "I know. But you can't say anything to anyone. Not even Suzie. And specially not your mom."

    "Don't worry, I won't tell. But holy fucking shit!"

    "I know!" I said with a small smile.

    "And... do you like him?" Dustin asked.

    "I don't know, I mean, we're best friends. I'll have to talk to him as soon as possible and work this out."

    "I think you should think about it first, Y/N. Define what you're feeling and what you want."

    "True. You're very wise, Dustin." I gently nudged him with my elbow.

    It was already 1:00 am, and I still couldn't fall asleep. I tossed and turned thinking about what my response was going to be. What the hell was I going to tell him? That I loved him? That I wanted to be just friends? Or just ignore what happened?

    Holy shit. He had kissed me. We kissed. I mean, I do love him, but I never thought I would see him as... What the hell am I supposed to tell him?!

    A restless night went by, only allowing me to sleep for a few hours before Dustin knocked on my door.

    "Y/N, wake up! Steve asked me to hang out around town. He's going to pick us up in ten minutes."

    "Wait. Us?" I replied half asleep.

    "He asked me to bring you."

    What did Harrington want to do with me? "You should've told me earlier, dude." I got up and rushed around my room gathering clean clothes to change into. "Out, out, out." I said as I closed the door.

    My body moved faster than it had ever done before. I raced against the clock as I put on some jeans and a green t-shirt, pushed my feet into unmatching socks and black tennis-shoes. I quickly put some light make up, but I kept my hair down. I brushed my teeth and grabbed the first jacket I saw. As I headed to the door, I heard Dustin call for me from outside. And there they were, Harrington and Robin inside a red car. They were talking about something that made them somewhat tense. When Dustin saw me jogging towards them, he addressed Steve, who gestured Robin to stop talking.

    "I'm just saying, if you don't go, I'll go. Hey, Y/N." Robin said cheerfully when I walked out. I waved back at her. "Come on. Get in."

    "How are you today?" Steve asked with a smile as I got in the back seat.

    "I'm good, I'm good. How are you guys?"

    "Discussing Steve's love life." Robin said. "I'm going crazy trying to figure it out for him."

    "Oh my god, Robin." Steve gave her a daggering look as he started driving

    "Oooohhh. I thought you had a lot of girlfriends, Harrington."

    "Nah, I don't have a girlfriend." He replied looking at Dustin, obviously trying to make him change the conversation.

    "So, how did you like that movie, 'The Breakfast Club'?"

    "Really, dude?" Steve said exasperated.

    The rest of the journey consisted of Steve and Dustin catching up, since they hadn't hung out much in the last months. They told me stories of their adventures together, and Robin didn't miss a chance on making sarcastic comments that made me laugh. Steve pulled over when we arrived downtown. We exited the car and started walking around.

    Later that day, we went to get ice cream. Weirdly, Robin urged Dustin into the premises as she told us that they would bring dessert to us shortly. Dustin just gave me a confused look and accompanied the freckled girl. I looked at Steve, who stood next to me with the same confused expression on his face. I grinned at him, and he returned it.

    "I used to work in a place like this, you know?"

    "Of course I know. I was your client more than once."

    "Really? I hadn't noticed you before."

    "I mean," I chuckled, "I usually lay low. Not a lot of people know who I am."

    "Mystery girl, huh." He placed a hand on the back of his neck and beamed. "Well, I'm really sorry I hadn't noticed you. I mean, I would've asked you out a lot earlier, and probably had my heart broken a lot less."

    "Are you asking me out?" My eyes widened.

    "No. I mean... yes? Unless you're going out with someone, of course." He quickly said.

    "I'm not going out with anyone." His eyes lit up for a second. "But unfortunately, I'm going to have to decline. Sorry." I smiled weakly.

    "It's okay. I suspected this would happen, but I had to shoot my shot, you know?" 

    "Steve, you'll find someone perfect for you. I'm sure of it. Just give it time."

    "I hope you're right."