Chapter 94

"Death can be an act of unity, too." Kane says, tracing the burn given by Lexa, a mark to show their alliance. He looks up at them, "We don't break. We don't show fear."

Ethan keeps his head down. There's an overwhelming sense of dread settling in his stomach, his limbs. 

"The people will remember us. . ." Their former Chancellor whispers.

Harley clenches his jaw, "They'll sure remember Pike sending a kid to his death. When was that overruled?"

Silence encompasses them, eyes swinging to land on Ethan.

Twisting his lips together, Ethan plays with the only bit of bracelet he can reach in his cuffed predicament and says, quietly, "Technically Pike doesn't have proof of my age. He can do whatever he wants."

He wasn't ever going to see Murphy again. Clarke. Octavia. Monty. Emori. What kind of sick game was that?

"Chancellor on deck!"

Ethan squeezes his eyes shut, his heart jumping into his throat.

"It's time." Pike boasts.

They're lined up against the wall, hands cuffed in front. Led through the halls on show for everyone they pass.

Ethan sees Harper.

They make eye contact. Her lip twitches upwards.

His eyes narrow, inconspicuously turning his head back to the front. But then, turning another corner, Pike's walkie-talkie goes off.

"Sir, you were right. Octavia Blake is here."

Pike whips around, gun raised. "On their knees!"

Ethan curses when Michael shoves him down, but some sick sense of hope slams into him at hearing that name. Octavia.

"Can you confirm a location?" Pike asks, mouth pressed against the radio.

"Negative, sir."

Bryan - Miller's boyfriend, Ethan clocks - turns towards Pike, "Sir, we can assume her friends have already told her where we're taking them. We shouldn't go any further till we know the route's secure."

Ethan doesn't know if he should be relieved that they get shoved into the next open room instead of led out into the courtyard, but here they are now.

For almost twenty minutes, they're taken by a tense silence, not one of them brave enough to break it.

When Ethan hears dual thuds from beyond the door, he can't refuse the smile that parts his lips. Slowly, but surely, they stand.

The door clicks open.

Octavia enters.

Ethan grins, "You son of a bitch."

She laughs, breathing heavily, "Thought I would leave you here? No way."

Lincoln darts over, swooping down to hug her. They share an intimate kiss while the other four send each other similar glances. They really thought no one was going to interfere. It was a relieving interruption.

Ethan has to massage the blood back into his hands when Octavia sets him free, pins and needles the only thing he can feel. She quickly ushers them through a panel in the floor after she's done, squishing all six bodies in the small space. Trying not to think about the room he was locked in, or the cage he was kept captive in, Ethan closes his eyes.

But it doesn't bring comfort. Like the wooden cage, he can feel everything pressed against him.

Ethan can say confidently that he's so fucking sick of every little thing triggering him. He wishes it was a choice. Wishes to find an off switch.