Chapter 51

"I told you it wouldn't be safe."

Ethan blows out a lengthy breath, staring blankly over the top of Abby's head.

They're back in camp, tucked inside the medical tent with a recovering Lincoln across the room, hidden behind curtains.

"I'm fine." He says quietly, "It worked."

When in doubt; mumble.

Lorelai lays a hand on his head, brushing down strands of his hair that refuse to settle. "Thank god you're okay."

He smiles a little.

Pointedly avoiding the nape of his neck, she pats him twice on top of the head, "You have to start letting the adults sort these things out."

The warmth is gone.

Ethan clenches his jaw, looking away.

Abby, kneeling in front of the cot, finishes setting the bandage. She can feel the pulse in his neck, working fast. "Lori, I'm going to ask you to let him rest." He doesn't relax until her hands are gone, sitting back on her knees.

"Why?" Lorelai crosses her arms, "I'm just checking on him."

"If you were checking on him you'd be asking how he feels. Not giving him a lecture." Abby warns, surprising the others in the room. She barely glances at the woman when she says it, dipping the red-soaked cloth back into its bucket.

Wide-eyed, Ethan looks from Lorelai to Abby.

Even Jackson's brows are hitched.

Lincoln is asleep on the other side of the room, Octavia by his side. Too far to hear.

"You don't have any say in my parenting, Chancellor. Your own daughter can barely stand you."

Ethan jolts, head snapping up, "Ma!"

Abby stands. Each word articulated and through gritted teeth, "Get out of my tent. Now." There's a dangerous tension, like flames billowing from either side of the argument. Ethan winces, curling into himself to avoid being so close to the heat.

He looks at Jackson, his lips parted as though he's waiting for a fight. The doctor slowly places his equipment back on the tray and meets Ethan's eyes with a quick smile.

Ethan mimics the action nervously. Jackson's kind of cute.

"Abby, you let me bring my son back to his room or I swear-"

He swallows harshly, eyes locked on Lorelai. The urge to ease her concern is overcome with the fear of being holed up in their room again. It sends a shiver down his spine. And not the good kind. Especially now, when he needs to know what's going on out there, waiting for Clarke to get back from the grounders.

"Not if you're going to lock him up again." Abby narrows her eyes, "Let me remind you, he was almost killed. What he needs right now is rest."

He could go without the reminder.

And he doesn't need them talking like he's not currently sitting one step in front.

Ethan respects Abby for trying to argue with his mother. She never backs down, she's stubborn and things have to go her way, or else. It seems to have doubled during the time he was locked away, then tripled after he was sent to the ground. Abby's holding up pretty well considering.

He catches movement past their legs and meets eyes with Jackson, the doctor pointing him towards the other free bed. Away from the battle of parents. There's a small, pursed smile on Jackon's face and he shrugs like he's not sure what else he can do.