Chapter 24.2

( I feel like I didn't have enough drop-ship Murphy moments with Ethan to really build up their future friendship, so I started editing, then decided screw it and added a whole new chapter. )

"What are you doing?"

Murphy flinches, jolting back into the logs he's hiding behind. He chokes on a groan when his back takes the impact, irritating the stitches, and quickly glares up at Ethan.

He brings a finger to his lips, glancing over to see if anybody noticed.

Frowning, Ethan follows his line of sight, to the people still recovering from the blood fever two days prior. The dead bodies were buried outside the gates, but now they have to make up for those lost and the latest chores haven't been giving any slack.

He glances back and huffs a small laugh, "Seriously, what the fuck are you doing?"

"Would you shut up before you draw attention?" Murphy's hands are tucked against his knees, and if Ethan looked close enough, he'd see that they were shaking.

Since he'd healed, and gotten over the sickness, Murphy had reverted a bit to his former self. More so the sarcasm and bluntness. Not so much the bullying, or the anger.

"Hm," Ethan pretends to think, a finger to his jaw, before pointing it at Murphy, "No."

In the next second, Murphy sets his jaw and grabs Ethan's arm, yanking him down.

His shoulder slams into the logs, half tipping over with a choked "shit" before he catches himself, knocking his knee hard against Murphy's.

He shoves said boy in retaliation, "The fuck was that for?"

Pulling himself back up, Murphy rolls his eyes, "Is your chosen form of communication just swearing these last few days, Ethan, or are you trying out some new intimidation tactics?"

And that was new, Ethan was beginning to realise, the use of his first time. For a long time it was just Beckett

Maybe Bellamy should follow Murphy's example.

Leaning back, Ethan shrugs, "After the week we had, I think I have plenty of justification." He doesn't mind taking the break if he's being forced to have it. "I know for a fact that some swearing isn't gonna scare you off, Murphy."

The bark is itchy against his back, but the soles of his feet being at rest makes up for the discomfort.

There's a moment of silence.

"Are you trying to get out of work?" Ethan needs to keep the conversation going.

"No." Murphy narrows his eyes, the cuts against his face somehow sharpening his features. He looks good, and Ethan knows it's not the first time he's noticed. Even when Murphy was trying to knife him all those weeks ago.

"I think yes."

Murphy sighs, dropping his head back against the logs and dragging a hand down his face. "You're such an idiot." The words lack bite.

"You're hiding from Bellamy, aren't you?" Ethan grins.

"I'm not hiding."

"You're lying."

"I'm not."

"You so are."

Murphy lifts his head again, aiming his glare at Ethan, "I swear I'll throw you over the fence to the grounders."

"Ooh, you're making threats now? I would say make me, but I'm afraid I don't think you could."

Murphy blinks, almost stunned, lips parted. "Is that an offer?" He finally says, lowering his voice. He can play this game too.