Chapter 66

"This is a joke," Murphy says, standing smack-dab in the acre of solar panels.

Jaha is panting, "This doesn't make any sense, the rest of the world is broken. But these panels are intact."

Ethan glares around Murphy, "The City of Light never made any sense." He shoves Jaha a step away, and jabs a finger at him. "You led us into a graveyard, and yet you wonder why nobody follows you, Chancellor."

Radiating the same anger, "You wanna see how long they stay intact?" Murphy sweeps a stone from the floor and ditches it far into the air.

"John -"

It hits a panel, smashing it to bits.

Almost like a security protocol, something detaches itself from the top, flying down towards them with a red blinker and rotator blades moving at a rapid pace.

"What the hell is that?"

"It's a drone." Jaha takes off, bolting past them. "Don't lose sight of it!"

"Yes, sir," Ethan spits the title like venom, but follows anyway.

If something like a drone could still be opporatable and charged, then the solar panels were still working.

What could they possibly be powering up?

It zooms across the ocean at their disposal. Sweet, sweet water. Ethan stumbles over until it reaches his ankles and splashes his face to clean the blood he can feel at every twitch, "Fucking finally."

"Where's it going?" Murphy asks, glaring past the sun.

"I don't know." Jaha jumps into the boat on shore like it's already been decided. "But we're gonna follow it in this."

The boat rocks unsteadily.

Silence overcomes them.

Murphy stares into nothing, then, "Tell me, what level of crazy is too much for you?"

He looks directly at Jaha, "I'm just," and shrugs, "curious." His hand falls, slapping against his thigh.

Ethan lifts his face from the water, skin stinging in protest against the salt, but it's nice and it's cold and he misses the cold like crazy.

"I think we've passed the point of no return." He says, nudging Murphy towards the ocean. He had been the closest to the blasts and most covered in red.

Murphy gathers some water in his hands as prompted, scrubbing the blood and sand from his face with a wince. He flicks wet hands at Ethan when he's done.

Ethan scoffs, light-heartedly shoving him away.

Jaha rocks the boat more urgently, "We need a boat. And a boat appears. This is our destiny, the City of Light is out there and we are going to find it. Now get in the boat."

Water dripping from his hair, Ethan glances at Murphy. "I understand faith but destiny? Sounds like a fairytale." He says, catching a few similar looks of disbelief from the others.

Murphy pauses. Those words were an exact copy his own, said towards Jaha when he'd tried to convince him. "Sounds like a fairy-tale."

"Or a second chance," Jaha had shut him down.

Murphy doesn't care for much. Not anymore. But - he glances at Ethan.

He won't leave without him.

Ethan shrugs and meets his gaze strongly. "Where you go, I go."

For a second, they glance between each others eyes.

Murphy nods. He swipes a hand down his face, pinches at the space between his eyes. In the end, he's the one who makes the decision, gesturing towards the boat, "You heard the man."