Chapter 92

The plan, Ethan

The plan, Ethan. Relax. You made it to the next step.

Focus.

Ethan carries himself through a shaky inhale, pointedly ignoring Bellamy's guilty glances as he takes him by his cuffed arms towards lock-up, slowing his long paces in account of Ethan's limp.

He's still pissed at him.

Sinclair's eyes meet his as soon as they turn the corner, into view of the prisoners surrounded by thick, metal gates. A little stunned, but understanding, the chief engineer looks away.

Stopping at the entrance, Bellamy unlocks the cuffs.

Big mistake. 

Ethan jabs his elbow back and spins around so he can freely punch him square in the jaw.

"Shit-" Bellamy grunts, knocked back a step.

The guards by the door catch Ethan before he can do anything else, and then he's getting thrown in lock-up, trying to steady himself on a bad ankle.

Fuming, he throws himself at the closed door, shooting daggers at the retreating back of a friend he used to trust, "Float you, Bellamy!" 

Flight or fight had hit him minutes ago, and it hadn't let up, everything in him screaming for Bellamy to come back so he had something to hit that was worth getting upset over.

"You know," Chewing on the inside of his cheek, Ethan narrows his eyes, "Murphy was right."

Bellamy pauses at the end of the hall, his hackles raised.

He bares his teeth, "You really are a coward."

And then Bellamy is gone.

Ethan blows out a breath. Closes his eyes just for a second.

When he turns around, hands still fisted and shoulders tense, he glances around inconspicuous to meet Sinclair's eyes. They nod at each other.

A body moves up behind the man, towering over his head.

Ethan actually smiles, and it loosens some of the tightness in his limbs. "Lincoln."

The heavy glower on Lincoln's face evaporates and his lip twitches upwards. They share a clasped grasp of the arm before Ethan grins and tugs him inwards.

Keeping up the act needed the sell the guards, Sinclair scoffs at their show of affection.

Ethan wants to laugh at the absurdity of it all, too, but remains neutral when he and Lincoln part, to which the latter gives him the rundown on what happened to the grounders and why they were in lock-up of all places.

Turns out Arkadia was initially willing to help the sick until healed, but Pike became Chancellor and refused almost immediately. Trying to justify his actions by saying they were wasting valuable resources. Of course, he wasn't going to let the grounders loose, either.