Chapter 10

"You're a lazy shot." Raven supplies, shrugging her tired shoulders.

Clarke's eyes light up, "Bellamy, don't you see what this means?" She rests a hand against his arm, searching for his eyes. "You're not a murderer. You always did what you had to do to protect your sister. That's who you are."

Ethan misses the puppy-dog look on Bellamy's face when he grabs Clarke's wrist. "That doesn't matter right now, I'll take you." He starts tugging, desperate to get the radio back.

"It's too late!" Bellamy yells, watching them leave.

Clarke tugs her arm back, stopping them both in their path. At first, Ethan thinks she's giving up, but instead she sighs and says, "We'll need some help. I'll take Bellamy, get some volunteers."

Ethan nods, not wasting time. He heads back the way he ran, seeing frantic marks in the dirt.

"Hey, wait up."

He jerks to a stop, turning around to see Raven rushing to catch up. Finn isn't far behind. They flank beside him simultaneously, to which he raises a brow. "What's up?"

"Looks like you got two extra." Finn shoves his hands into his pockets, flashing him a similar smile.

"Awesome." He holds out his hand and sends the girl a toothy smile, "I'm Ethan."

She smirks, "Raven." And with the same energy, grabs his hand and whips it up and down. "You know where you're going?"

When she turns to look ahead, her gaze drifts, looking around in awe, stumbling over sticks and the uneven ground below her feet, too amazed by the trees, sky, and air.

Ethan scratches at the back of his head, slowing down until they stop. "Kind of? I was running from Bellamy, but it was mostly in one straight line."

He points forward. "This way is my best guess." He continues walking.

Finn chuckles, but his eyes are drawn to Raven, staring at her smile.

"Oh," Ethan does a little skip-hop in excitement, then turns, one half of him paying attention to Raven and the other watching where he's stepping. "I bet you're feeling crazy right now with all this freedom. Like Finn on his first day, man, he was climbing on anything he could get his hands on."

Raven whips her head over to an embarrassed Finn and laughs. 

"Yeah." Ethan smiles, "Should'a seen him." 

He holds up his hands, making the appropriate gesture of a tall structure and Finn atop it. "Jumps down from the drop-ship like some kind of superhero, to stop -" Murphy's unfinished name hangs emptily in the air, "- stop these two kids from starting an all out brawl."

"Oh yeah?" Raven glances at Finn again, reaching over to clutch at his arm. "My hero."

"Down here, you have the freedom to go anywhere." There's a sudden challenge in his eyes, "Last one to the lake is a rotten egg."

Ethan takes off with a loud cackle.

He knows Finn will stay at a pace comfortable for Raven, so she can fully enjoy the journey, but she doesn't humour him and runs without hesitance, taking on the challenge quickly.

She laughs loudly into the breeze, holding her arms out wide to feel it across her skin.

Coming to earth for the first time is euphoric. He remembers those first few hours.

He stops at the edge of the lake and turns back to see the two side by side, a tie when they stop beside him.

"Okay." Ethan starts, pointing to where he stood. He mimicks Bellamy by holding an arm up, ready to throw. "Bellamy's pretty strong so I'm assuming it went far."