Chapter Twenty-Four

Lt. Col. Oliver Talbot smiled with satisfaction. At last, he discovered Ivan's whereabouts. However, it shocked him to think his brother died a lonely, heartless death. If only he could have found him sooner.

There was no point in running scenarios that did not exist. Oliver scolded himself for doing it. It was too late for Ivan. He faced the ugly task of informing his mother of her elder son's demise. He had written letters to lost service members' loved ones many times. However, this one seemed different. It hit home.

Procrastination was never one of Oliver's strong points. He liked to get gruesome tasks over with as swiftly as possible. Still, he hesitated. Calling his mother with the news would devastate her. He dreaded her cell phone tears. Perhaps he could wait until they were face-to-face. Then, he could comfort her in the manner she deserved.

"I have to do it," Ollie lamented, tears stinging the back of his eyes. Covering them with his hands, he sobbed.

With trembling fingers, Oliver grasped his phone. It rang once, twice, three times. Impatiently, he waited for his mother's out-of-breath hello. It did not arrive.

Ollie sat back in his office chair. Bea Talbot usually picked up on the second ring. His ringtone hurried her. Beginning to panic, he wondered about the situation. Had something gone wrong? Perhaps Hank...

No, he could not think that his only son had contracted the plague. His parents were too cautious about allowing Hank to become inflicted. Hurriedly, he pushed his morose thoughts away. He'd try again in a moment.

******

However, fate forestalled the moment. As Lt. Col. Talbot reached for his cellphone, it buzzed. Lifting it, he noticed his father's number on the display.

"Hello." Oliver snapped the word. A call from I. Geoffrey Talbot was unusual. Something had happened to make his father phone him. Once again, Ollie's thoughts flashed on Hank.

"You're likely to receive this news from another source, Oliver. However, I thought it was better coming from me." Never one for 'hellos,' General Talbot marched into the conversation unheeded. "Liz died in Montego Bay, Jamaica...about 2100. Plague."

Lt. Col. Oliver Talbot's mouth flew open, stunned. The news struck him as impossible. Liz...dead?

Young and vibrant, his wife strutted through life as though nothing could harm her. Oliver could not imagine her lifeless body lying coldly on a mortuary slab. Although their marriage had disintegrated long ago, she remained his wife. He had lived as close to her as a man and woman possibly could. She was as much a part of him as he was of her.

After a long marital struggle, death finally parted Oliver and Elizabeth. For a moment, the word 'Free' floated through his mind. Then, he dismissed it. His heart suddenly softened toward her.

"I...I'm sorry, dad," Ollie muttered, his eyes refilling with tears.

"Yeah, we are too," Jeff replied, drawing his wife close to his side. Bea pressed his face into her husband's shoulder. "Look, Ol, I know you and Liz didn't get along. Still..."

"We realized the marriage was a mistake almost as soon as we said our vows," Oliver conceded, sinking back into his chair.

"Your mother always felt sorry she pushed you toward her," his father continued. "The other young woman..."

"I'd rather not discuss it, dad," Ollie cut his sire off. "It's not an appropriate time."

Momentarily, Oliver's thoughts flashed toward Nicola Prescott. They had kept their affair a secret. Neither of his parents knew he continued to date her. After so many years, he believed they had forgotten his long-ago sweetheart.

"Understood." Jeff Talbot's one word closed the subject.

A silence hung between father and son. Neither knew what to say next. However, they were not ready to break off the conversation. Finally, a thought struck Oliver.

"Why was Liz still in Montego Bay?" he abruptly questioned. "I left a message with Tom Amberley to EVAC her."

Another pregnant pause interrupted the discussion.

"Didn't you know?" Gen. Talbot finally asked. "The Amberley's died of the plague. A neighbor discovered their bodies several days ago. They were both deceased for several days before the fellow next door eventually checked on them."

Aghast, Lt. Col. Oliver Talbot's face paled. General Amberley never received his message concerning the EVAC. He died before the text. Ollie mentally kicked himself for not checking up, for not ensuring himself of the order's issue. Woefully, he realized he should have done more for his wife. Instead of blocking her out, he could have possibly saved her.

"I'm sorry, dad," Oliver responded. Angrily, he wiped away fresh tears. "She sent a barrage of text messages about getting quarantined in Jamaica. I passed them off to Tom. I figured he'd take care of the situation. Stubbornness won out.

"How's Hank handling it," Ollie swiftly continued before his father could respond. "Have you told him?"

General I. Jeff Talbot's trembling sigh traveled across the miles. In whispered tones, he and his wife spoke of informing the child. They both wished Hank's father were present to tell him. However, the situation would not permit it. Sooner or later, they would have to have the dreaded conversation.

"You know I would rather do it myself, dad," Oliver confirmed. "However, it's not good to let it linger. I hate to ask you and mom..."

"We'll tell him, son," his father responded after clearing his throat. "Don't worry about a thing."

"Sure, dad."

For a moment, Ollie considered asking to speak to his mother. He wished to inform her about Ivan. Nevertheless, he felt it might wait until a better time.

"Just tell mom I want to speak to her later," Oliver stated before saying goodbye. "Take care of Hank. I'll get home as soon as I can. This mission is a real mess."

"Gotcha," Jeff answered before hanging up. Good-byes were like hellos—non-existent.

FUBAR, Oliver thought, tossing his phone onto his desk. All of a sudden, everything is FUBAR.

Ivan: dead

Elizabeth: dead

The Amberson's: dead

Boiling over with anger, Oliver Talbot considered the situation. Impatiently, he wished the entire ordeal behind him. Still, he awaited final orders.

Lifting his smartphone, Oliver brought up Nicola's number. He almost dialed it, then changed his mind. He wanted her. No, he needed her.

Closing his eyes, Ollie pictured Nic bent over her laptop. When they went away together, he often woke up to find her busy typing. A thought or idea might strike her in the middle of the night. She always said she had to capture the moment as soon as it arose. He enjoyed standing behind her, watching.

When the right time appeared, Oliver Talbot would author his own novel. It had always been his fantasy to become a writer. Life forestalled his true ambitions. The Talbot tradition of military service held him back. His marriage to Liz further complicated his ability to set time aside to write.

At times, Ollie hated his life. He toed the line for too long. Considering his newfound freedom, he longed for Nicola. She gave him her love, and he took it. At times, he felt he had taken advantage of her. Their clandestine romance fulfilled his desire. However, he could not truly commit his life to her.

Stupid...he had been stupid for too long. All his life, his mother drilled his obligations into his mind. Oliver joined the military because of tradition. His marriage to Elizabeth Amberley upheld his mother's vision of Army life. Following in his father's footsteps, he felt obligated to his family. However, he realized he did not fulfill his responsibilities to himself. The time had come to become his own man.