xxix. start of something new

Start from the beginning

The girl with the braids sung her way through each verse, steadily, yet following the pace of the soundtrack, which sounded from booming speakers all around. When the main chorus came around, the rest of the choir joined by easing into the song, their voices steady and still, not overshadowing Inez's solo, but still sounded like one. One voice. One choir.

One everything.

With that exact spirit, the choir carried it into the rest of the day's rehearsal. Not a minute was wasted, and Dr. Terry had time to heavily lead the choir into places they can improve to have an excellent performance. After about half an hour, choir practice concluded, and the choir director dismissed everyone to leave. Inez joined her best friend, Jolien, who was gently making her way down the singing platform.

When the brunette girl practically leaped off of the lowest part of the platform like a kid, she wrapped her arm around best friend for a bear hug. There was nothing like a passionate hug from your best buddy.

"Nez, you did so well on your solo! No one can do it better than you," Jolien raved like a cheerleader. She was practically Inez's personal cheerleader, as all best friends should strive to be.

"Stop, you're being too sweet," the girl with the braids gushed as she gestured to her friend to walk backstage with her.

"I'm just telling the truth," Jolien remarked with a shrug as she picked up an orchid purple backpack that sat against the wall, buried by dozens of other backpacks.

Before Inez got the chance to lean down to retrieve her backpack, she was interrupted by someone's fingers crawling up her shoulders from behind her before the person planted a quick kiss on her right cheek. With a giggle, her head spun around to see a smiling Alexander.

"Hey, Nezzie," he whispered, his voice sugary. "You did so well on your solo. You were made for it."

"You sugarcoat everything," the girl giggled before she took his hand, squeezing it tight. "But thank you."

Alexander answered simply. "I'm not sugarcoating anything, I'm just being honest."

"Hello, I'm like, right here," Jolien intervened as she waved her hands in the air dramatically. "You guys are making me feel way too single."

"We're sorry," Inez apologized, followed by a grimace.

"But you two have fun. I have a nail appointment in thirty minutes, so I'll see you guys tomorrow," the brunette announced as she adjusted the straps for her backpack. "Bye."

"Bye," the couple said in sync as they watched her round the corner to the main stage area. Now, it was just them alone. Even if they were surrounded by many other choir students who were gathering their things, the couple was by themselves.

Before neither of them got the chance to say anything, an ecstatic Jayden, Alexander's best friend, approached them as he retrieved his backpack, swinging it onto his back afterwards. "Hey, you two."

"Hi, Jay," the Korean boy said as he held out his hand to meet his friend's for a handshake. "What's up?"

"I'm going to go to my locker real quick to grab something, but what's good with you guys?" The mixed boy questioned before a smirk crawled onto his lips. "You guys seem happy. You've been like that since we came back from break. Were y'all busy . . . ?"

"We're just excited to be . . . back, that's all," Inez muttered. A spark in her brain lit up. Her boyfriend's best friend wasn't direct about what he meant when he said that they were a little happy, but being not-so innocent, she knew exactly what he was talking about. She turned her head to face her boyfriend, who was smiling uncontrollably.