Joël Côté-Dominguez

Start from the beginning

"Je suis tellement désolé, bébé," I muttered into his curls. "Pardonne-moi."

"Je te pardonne, maman." Joël pulled away. "Am I going home with you this time? I packed just in case. What about Dad?"

I completely ignored that question and chose to focus on him wanting to be with me. Home? With me? He said he wants to go home. Did he never think France was his home? I looked at Callie, but she wasn't standing in the doorway. She must be with her girls. She's always understood private time.

"Why don't we sit down and I'll explain everything, okay?" I looked into his huge, brown eyes. "I want you to know that whatever happens from here on out, you'll always be my baby."

Joël took a seat on Callie's expensive, sectional leather sofa. I'd always wondered why she spent so much on a couch she barely sat on. No one was allowed to sit on it unless they were having family time. I doubt that was often. I sat next to Joël and prepared to explain everything that I could without making anyone seem like the bad guy.

"I know you're going to ask about your father and why he hasn't come around to see you. I don't want to speak ill of him, but he's sick right now. He doesn't want to get better. I tried helping him, so he'd be in your life more often." I sighed. "It was working, but he chose to do his own thing and I started to shut him out. I shouldn't have, but it's best we're not together. It's for your safety."

"Is Dad a bad man?" Joël asked.

"Not exactly, chér. He's a good guy. He loved me a lot and he loved you. He just didn't want the doctors to help him."

"Do I still get to go home with you?"

"You don't mind leaving your cousins behind and moving across the world with me? I couldn't do that to you, love." I squinted at my son.

"I've been dreaming of the day you came back and told me I was leaving with you. I know Lyon is my home, but wherever you are is where I'm supposed to be."

How? I couldn't wrap my head around the way he was talking. He sounds way too calm and intelligent for his own good. He's taking this better than I thought he would. I mean, he's only seven. What could he possibly understand about his parents not being in love?

"Is it because you found someone else?"

What have I missed? Who's been raising him when Callie isn't around. I've been around her kids long enough to know how they act. He's acting too grown. I wasn't this interested in my parents' relationships at this age. I like to think I wasn't.

"What makes you think I'm with someone else?" I asked with a smile.

"Aunt Callie and Uncle Léon always talk about you and him. I thought he was either Dad or someone else. Did I guess right?" Joël giggled. "I don't mind it. I really don't. I'll love him just as much as I love you."

"Joël..."

"I promise I'll be a good boy. I won't argue with him or even get mad that he isn't my real dad. I just wanna go home with you. Aunt Callie even got me a passport and ID."

I couldn't not say yes to his request. I had been planning to speak to Lucas about it anyway. We weren't living together, but it's something we need to agree on. If Lucas doesn't want Joël, because of Roberto, I don't think we can stay together for long. I want my son to come home with me. I can't leave him again. After seeing him again for the first time in years, I don't think I can go home without him.

"It's not that I don't like living with Aunt Callie and my cousins, but...I want to explore the world. I want to be with you all the time. I don't want other people laughing at me, because I don't live with my mom. It's bad enough they seem to know who Dad is."

"What?"

"I'm not one to tattle, but school hasn't been going well. I'd love to start at a new school far from people who know me better than I know myself."

If I had known how Joël was being treated in school, I would have come to get him sooner. Leaving him here for seven years is a mistake I can never undo. Joël deserves better. With or without Lucas's permission, I'm going to bring Joël home with me. He'll definitely fare better in California. I won't have to worry about him every minute of the day. I'll definitely know when things aren't going right at school.

"Get your things, Joël. Mommy's taking you home."