4 RH

"So, how's Korea so far? Do you like it?" My Mom's voice rang on the other end of the phone.

I was currently on my way to pick Joon up from daycare. Being home all day really bored me out. I was going to have to find a job sooner or later, or ask Qi Tai if they had any positions open for the company here like they did for their branch in America.

"I haven't really explored all of it yet." I chortled at her. "I want to travel to Seoul. I heard it's nice there." I hummed, stopping in front of the daycare building. I noticed there were a few other parents waiting as well.

I was feeling very proud of myself for navigating my way here without getting lost.

"How does Joon like it so far?" Mom asked.

"I'm waiting for him to come out now." I checked my wristwatch, looking at the time. Joon should be out any minute now. "I'll call you later and tell you how it went."

"Okay, Charlie." I heard her chuckle in response. "Tell Joon and Levi I said hi. I love you!"

"Love you too." I replied before hanging up the call. As if on cue, I watched as the doors to the daycare open and watched as many children ran out to their parents. I glanced over some of them, searching for my son.

It seemed like forever. Eventually, I saw my little boy come out the front door. I smiled at him and waved, "Joon!" But my sentence was cut off when he ran over to me in a fit of tears. He wrapped his small arms around my legs and sobbed. "What's wrong?" I kneeled down and caressed his little face.

"Eomma!" He replied in a loud wail and stuck his face in my shoulder. The mother bear within me activated. I needed to find out what was wrong, and I needed to do it fast.

I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him closer to me. "Okay, shushh." I stroked the back of his hair. The daycare lady, Somi walked over to me with a frown.

"Joon Eomma." She sighed. "He got into a fight with another student."

"What?" I seethed. "What happened?" Now I was very pissed, and wanted to know who put their hands on my child.

"The teachers tell me that a student said he was.." She paused, "too brown." She lowered her head in embarrassment. "I think they both called each other names and it got out of hand."

"Okay, but did you punish the child who started it?" I raised a brow at her. "Or at least explained to him that what he was saying wasn't nice?"

Somi nodded hesitatingly. "We handled it, but I just wanted to let you know. It won't happen again."

"It better not." I spat and scooped Joon into my arms, storming back to our home.

~

"Joon! What are you doing?" I opened the bathroom door. For the past 10 minutes, I thought I heard water running.

Joon stared up at me, shocked that I had burst in on him. His eyes were swollen from all the crying and he was half naked in the tub, scrubbing his body with soap. "Why are you—"

"I can't get it off!" He whined.

"Get what off?" I strolled over to him and pulled him out of the tub. Then I grabbed his towel from the night before, that was hanging on a rack and dried him off with it.

"The dirt." He whimpered and scratched at his skin. "I'm dirty!" Tears began to cascade down his face. My heart ached, and I pulled him into my arms.

"Joon," I started, nudging away slightly. I held up my hand for him to see and pointed at my brown skin. "Do I look dirty to you?"

He shook his head. I scooped him up in my arms again and pointed at the mirror. "What's this right here?" I poked at his nose.

"Nose!"

"Okay, and what is this." I gestured at my eyes.

"Eyes!" He replied boastfully, like it was a game.

"And this?"

"Hand!" He giggled.

"Now look in the mirror." I held him up to the mirror. "Do we look exactly the same?" He shook his head. "No one looks completely the same." I kissed his forehead. "But just because we look different, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Your skin is what you were born with, that's what is apart of you."

Joon stared blankly at his reflection.

"Say it with me," I smiled. "I am handsome."

"I handsome." He repeated.

"Say it again. Louder."

"I.. handsome!"

"Good job!" I clapped. "This," I pointed to his skin. "Is a part of you. Not dirt." He smiled at me and nodded.

~

"Where in the world is he?" I hissed, chucking my phone down in frustration. I sent Qi Tai a text message hours ago, asking him when he was supposed to come home. There was still no response.

It was already late, and I had already fed Joon and finally put him to bed. It was a struggle, because Qi Tai was all Joon asked for. He really wanted to see his father.

I had called him about 50 times, and there was still not a single call back from him.