Chapter Eleven

I was a loser. There was a lost cat in my house and I wasn’t going to return him because he and I were cuddling. And I was very comfortable. A lot more comfortable than I had been for a long time. The sun went down and my movie marathon with Silver was going on. Even though he had been sleeping through most of it, I was having fun. I kept smiling as he purred. But after the movie finished, I got up. And sadly that ruined our cuddle session. 

“Sorry Silver. But you and I have to break up now.” I automatically switched to a cat voice when I talked to him. It felt wrong to disturb his sleep. So I let him sleep a bit more. I got up and brushed my hair and put them in a pony. I changed into jeans shorts and a sleeveless gray shirt. I grabbed my shoes and picked up Silver. He was still very comfy in my arms. I walked to Ronan's house and cleared my throat. There was a slight sound of music coming from inside. I opened the fence gate and rang the bell. There was a shout inside. 

“Someone get the door.” It was a boy.

“You get the door.” A girl replied. 

“I can’t get the door. I have my hands fucking dipped in pizza sauce.” 

“Someone get the door!” I laughed when I heard them. The door opened and a boy muttered.

“Fucking losers.” He paused when he saw me. “Oh, hello.” 

“Hi. I am just here to return Silver.” He looked down at the cat and looked confused.

“No. I think you are mistaken. Silver is upstairs in his room. This is not Silver.” 

“It is Silver.” I nodded. He puckered his lips and turned back. 

“Hey, Ronan!” He shouted. My heart dropped. Couldn’t he just take Silver and not call him?

“There is a girl at the door with a cat similar to Silver. But he is in your room right?” He was so loud. I am sure the whole town heard it. Two seconds later someone ran to the door.

“I thought Silver was with ya'll— Darla…” Ronan paused in his path. 

“He was outside my house fighting with some other cats. I checked to see and there were no injuries.” I stepped inside and handed him Silver. 

“Thank you.” 

“My great b—” I paused as his eyes shined with the recognition of what I was going to say. Old habits die hard. “You’re welcome.” 

“Uh, Ronan boy…no introductions to your unknown pretty alliance?” His friend spoke from behind me. 

“Yes, of course. Darla, this is Dylan, my best friend. Dylan, this is Darla my….” He trailed off. I almost scoffed.

“His pretty alliance, you could say.” I gave Dylan a tight smile. So this was Dylan. He didn’t look like what I imagined him to look like. He was hot and he knew it. And by the way, he was smiling at me, he was a player too. Examination completed. 

“Who is it?” A girl popped in and Dylan closed the front door.

“This is Darla, his friend from around here.” And then something passed between Dylan and the girl. A kind of silent signal.

“I am Kristen, his friend. Nice to meet you.” She offered me her hand and I shook it. 

“Likewise.”

“Would you like to stay for pizza?” 

“Uh…no thanks I just ate something.” 

“But Ezra is making it and trust me—” Dylan came from my left, “He makes the best pizzas.”