Chapter Four

I had never really noticed this before but Tory had mismatched eyes. One was a deep green and the other was the darkest of brown. And with his Auburn hair, he looked like a character. I just didn’t know which character just yet. He was very busy today and this was the first time I was here and I was completely free. I didn’t have ghosts tailing me. And now that I was observing things, Tory was really fluent with the customers. He honestly liked this job.

I smiled when he gave the little girl an extra scoop and they both exchanged whispers like secret agents. The shop was bustling more and more as summer vacations were announced in some states. I was waiting for my cookies and cream and chocolate. I had been sitting here for ten minutes and he still didn’t give me my ice cream but it was alright. I was having fun with my diary. 

24th June 2016 

Have you ever thought about what certain people are thinking? And why are they thinking that? Well, I haven’t. But I must. Kate called me to their house today, for a sleepover. Did I get a wrong feeling about her? I thought we both didn’t like each other. Wasn’t it mutual? 

Anyways, Dad said it would be rude to not go so I did go. And as I expected, they weren’t in SpongeBob pajamas, only I was. They had silk nightgowns, their hair was styled like it was some red carpet and they even had a small amount of makeup. I couldn’t even remember if I washed my face before coming here. My hair was as it always was, long blonde and straight. They surely didn’t hide their judgment upon my attire. And after a bit of heated debate, they decided to let me wear the pajamas. But they insisted on doing my hair and makeup. Kate was ruthless with my face and she poked the eyeliner in my eye. Yes, it stung. 

But when I pushed past my uncomfortable feelings, they made me laugh a bit too. Like when Meredith was modeling and she tripped on air and like when their cat, Silver jumped on the food tables and knocked down two plates. 

Silver was a beautiful grey Siamese cat. But the girls hated it. They kicked it out of the room three times but he sat in front of the door and when the opportunity came, he would come running in. When I got bored with the three girls, I laid down next to Silver and he and I decided to be friends in this cruel world. When Lana got tired of telling us about her new crush and possible boyfriend, Kate turned on the TV and they watched a movie. I didn’t pay attention to it as I dozed off. This was one of the worst and most boring sleepovers anyone could ask for. 

I was asleep when Silver started scratching on the closed door. Kate mumbled something about how much of a headache that cat was. But he kept scratching and scratching. So I got up and picked it up. Its big blue eyes looked at me and then back at the closed door. Maybe he was hungry or thirsty. So I opened the door and took him outside. I shrieked as he thrashed in my arms and jumped down. And then it ran downstairs. I followed Silver because what if it got lost? I was the one who let it escape. So, I followed it inside a dark room. I peeked inside and whispered. 

“Silver.” The room was pitch black and I walked inside thinking of hands grabbing me and taking me to the ghost world. I heard somewhere that cats were devil spawns. 

“Shit.” I knocked something down and it shattered. I bent down to pick it up but hissed when it grazed my hand. I frowned when Silver's collar bell jingled. 

“Silver—” Someone flipped the light switch. I looked down at my bloody hand and then at the gloomy jerk standing in the doorway. 

“What are you doing here?” He raised a brow. I quickly stood up and put my hand behind my back. 

“I— Silver?” I looked around the room for the sign of those blue eyes but he was nowhere to be found. And maybe, he saw it too. 

“Silver. Right.” He totally didn’t believe me. And then to prove his point, Silver came from outside the room. That devil trapped me. He must've gone outside when he heard him come.