Chapter Twenty-One

I walked towards Ronan. His hair was slightly wet and all over his eyes just like I liked it. The black curled mess looked messier today. He ran a hand through his damp hair.

“Hi, I am Darla.” I put my hand forward. He glanced at my hand and shook it.

“Nice to meet you, Darla. My name is Ronan.” 

“Yeah, well I saw you staring at me from there so I thought I might make an introduction.” I pulled my hand back.

“I couldn’t help it. You looked like a Barbie doll.” He grinned as I shut my eyes to stop myself from laughing. I told him we were meeting again, but he couldn’t hold back from quoting the past. I didn’t mind it. It felt new and light to not overthink everything. 

“I will try not to take this to heart since you look like someone who thinks Barbies are really beautiful.” 

“Oh, you have such a keen eye.” He gave me a lopsided smile. I scratched up my nose and scrutinized him from the head to toe.

“You also look like a cat person,” I added. Ronan scowled at that and shook his hands.

“Oh not at all. I am totally allergic to cats.” He shivered in fake disgust and said,“ Can’t stand them.” 

“Now that I think about it, you look more like Chad.” 

“A Chad?” His eyes flashed with humor.  

“Hmm.” I nodded.  

“At least a handsome Chad?” 

“The most handsome Chad ever.” He sighed dramatically at that. Before we both could say anything else, Tory shouted from behind us. 

“Hey, guy!” We both turned to him. He was calling us over with his hands. 

“I got you both barbecue.” He added. I looked back at Ronan and he put his elbow forward. 

“Let's go, milady.” I slapped his bicep and walked ahead. 

“I don’t associate with strangers. Not at least this soon.” 

“Ouch,”  he muttered from behind me. We both walked over to the mat and say down. I sat on the far edge and stretched my legs onto the sand. Ronan squeezed between me and Tory. Tory passed me a knowing smile which I ignored. There was a large plate filled with steaming barbecue. A memory hit me when I saw it. The night Ronan and I became somewhat friends was when Jules announced she was pregnant with Levi. There was also a beach barbecue that day. I silently put two pieces on my plate. I leaned forward for the sauce but Ronan was faster. He placed it in front of me without even glancing at me. He then poured me a drink and also put two more pieces of barbecue on my plate. I nibbled on my bottom lip seeing him act like a mother hen. 

“How is Levi?” I asked lowly, only for us two to hear. 

“We don’t call him Levi anymore. He is Satan's spawn. I have never seen a kid naughtier than him. I think he took secret lessons from Kate.” He gave me a half-smile and bit into the barbecue. My heart squeezed with tenderness. 

I thought I craved barbecue but it didn’t taste as good as before. I craved summer too but I think I meant the summer two years ago. I sighed and looked away. I was so invested in my thoughts that I didn’t see the frog near my feet. But when I did, my whole body froze and my face blanked. That fat glob sat there staring at my soul as I put the barbecue down on the plate. Slowly, I pulled my feet back but it jumped. And so did I. I jumped back and screamed and startled everyone. 

“Oh shit. What is it?” Everyone around me stood up in alarm.

“Fuck!” I shouted and scrambled backward when it jumped again. “Get it away from here. It’s going to come on the mat.”