Chapter Twenty-Six - Dirty Little Ella

I will reply to every single comment on this chapter. ❤

"Where's Bella?" I asked as I looked around his apartment

He gave me a nervous smile and then slumped over his couch. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about..." he trailed off in a way that made me uneasy.

I sat beside him on the couch and placed my elbow over the headrest. "What about it?"

"Bella is not here anymore, Ella"

I opened my mouth to say something but closed it as I listened to his words. I furrowed my eyebrows, shaking my head. "Why?"

"She had been quite inactive lately. I thought she was sick, so, I took her to a vet. He told me that she was overweight and that I needed to take her out for walks and all that shit. I couldn't do it, Ella. The college has been busting my ass, then there's football. Then the next few days, she became very overweight. I took her out for a walk and then she just ran..."

"What do you mean she just ran?"

"She ran and the leash slipped from my hand for a second. She ran to the middle of the road and got run over by a car..."

I inhaled sharply and raised a finger. "Wait a sec, when did this happen?"

"Umm, last week, I guess, I don't know maybe before that" he explained, a crinkle appearing between his brows.

"Last week? How many times did we talk in the last week, Hunter"

"Every single day,"

I nodded. "Every single day, and you didn't think that you should inform me about it?"

He shook his head, running his hands down his face. "I didn't want to tell you over the phone because I knew you'll fight about this... I didn't want to get into an argument with you while you were so fucking far away"

Irritation surged up inside of me. I was taken aback by how unaffected he was acting by all of this. We adopted them together. They mean something to me, it was something we shared while being so far away from one another. "You're like the least bit affected by it. How can you be so heartless? Maybe, it was just a dog for you but it was still a living being, Hunter. What if it was a human, would you have reacted the same way?!"

"This... this is exactly the reason, I didn't want to tell you over the phone. Ella, I didn't kill her, it was a mistake, a fucking mistake."

I got off the couch and wrapped my arms around myself. "I don't know... you didn't seem too fond of her anyway!"

He got up as well. "YES, I WASN'T! God! I didn't even want a dog, Ella. I told you that over and over again but you didn't listen to me. I didn't even know how to take care of her, she was overweight for God's sake because I fed her too much. And I can't deal with dog shit all day long. I'm not a dog person at all. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs but I just can't care for one. Not now anyway, and definitely not alone. Maybe in the future when we are living together—"