03| strawberries n' cigarettes always taste like you

...clouds are rolling by
i open my mouth and
i breathe them right in
all my thoughts slip away
but i can't stop thinking 'bout your face ...

from: børns, ❝ clouds ❞ 🎼

Dear K —my North Star,

Earlier today, my phone rang, and Derek's name lit up the screen. Weird, considering we hadn't spoken since the day you left. The call was painfully awkward, but it brought me back to:

[ MAY 18, 2023 ]

The night of Derek's stupid party, where our paths crossed for the second time.

It all unfolded in a house alive with swaying silhouettes, bathed in the vibrant hues of multicolored party hats and glow sticks. The music, loud enough to shake the walls, mixed with infectious laughter that echoed through the place. The room was a kaleidoscope of radiance, each glow stick casting its own vivid hue, creating an electric atmosphere of unrestrained revelry. However, none of it held any allure for me.

Five minutes into the party, I found myself seeking solace on the balcony, a cigarette nestled between my lips and a lighter in hand. As wisps of smoke curled into the night air, I leaned against the railings, surveying the lush green grass and listening to the soothing murmur of the water fountain.

"Get outta here, Chucky—"

"Jesus." I jumped, taken aback by the sudden intrusion.

"—Tonight's all about joy, not creepy dolls with bad vibes!"

And there you stood, a gentle smile gracing your face, a red plastic cup cradled in your hand. Your green eyes gleamed in the flickering lights of the party. Despite Derek's parties reigning as the most popular in Harlow Falls, I never anticipated crossing paths with you. Somehow, I had convinced myself you were a mere figment of my imagination, a whimsical creation born out of boredom in that drab police cell.

Yet, there you were, undeniably real, and deliberately bugging me.

"Wait, what did you just call me?"

"Chucky? No, no, I called you Anthony."

I rolled my eyes, bringing my cigarette to my lips.

"If you're not going to have fun, why come to a party?"

"This is fun."

Your green eyes peered straight at me. "Your idea of fun is moping around on someone else's balcony, smoking cigarettes. Well damn. It sure sucks to be you."