VIII. emerald eyes in the night

You've been staring at the box in your hand for quite...some time. Long seconds and minutes have passed, you would be surprised if an hour has long gone and wasted just for staring at this...old people's drink. Were you even allowed to have this? What was that woman even thinking?

When you decided to let that box rest on the floor for a while and headed out to find the woman who gave you the gift herself, to ask what really it was, " It's a bottle of booze, darling. Have you tried it yet? " Was her answer, so casually as if you were even at the right age to drink such bottle of drink.

You turned to your father, an indescribable look on your face as you asked the obvious question, " You can if you want to, [Name.] You're in your peaking age of your middle teenage years, I'm sure you can handle it. " You were left coming back in your room, dumbfounded by their replies. As long as you could remember booze was a strong type of alcohol, and you knew your immune system was weak and your stomach wouldn't handle it even if you drink it, but that would never happen. Never.

You were too...young but also well minded to do such things, you've heard only miserable people drink. You weren't miserable. Well, sometimes--you were but it was only for small things. Not that big ones than can ruin one's life, than can ruin yours.

So the moment you reentered your room, you quite literally stomped your way to the box and pushed it somewhere around the corner of your room, at least somewhere shady and wouldn't be seen for the past few years since you wouldn't use it. You had this reddening face too.

It only has been hours since the woman and her children have stepped inside the house. The meals that you've spent together this afternoon and night as a family was better than you've expected to be, Sylvia did most all of the talking, asking what were your hobbies and all those simple stuff, you were quiet most of all the time, only speaking when you were needed to be as she mostly have questioned the twins more than you.

They weren't that much of a problem, you concluded. But something deep in your mind tells you that it wouldn't last that long.

When you were done putting that box away, you walked towards your bed and splayed your body all over, like a starfish, you've once seen at the seashore. Eyes were slowly drooping and your orbs drifted over the opened window, it wasn't that window, not much air flows inside your room and it was already dark, given that it was night, around eight or quarter, you've lost track of time.

Maybe you could sleep early today.

And to that, you did, but only to wake around early in the morning.

Too early.

It was still around two, when you woke up, sweat have run down the side of your face and the breeze outside didn't seem to freshen your sleep, you needed to wipe your face with the sleeve of the sleeping attire you wear just so you wouldn't look like you've stayed under the sun for too long and not smell bad this early, but you already were, now that you took a sniff off yourself.

You need to change, if you won't, you'd definitely be judged by Sylvia and possibly the three boys how sweaty you smell.

A yawn escaped from your lips as you slowly stood up. Mind still holding from the sleep you had and now that you start to gain more consciousness, you realize that this was one the most well sleep you had, because for these past few months you haven't been sleeping that well. You'd be awake as late as around this hour then wake at five, there was definitely wrong with you but you figured it was because the constant stressful days you had.

You even felt the goodness of sleep in your face. Your whole body feel so relaxed...

But as much as you wanted to think about your whole sleep, getting into new clothes was more important.