chapter fourty-eight; brave

A while back.

"You want others to know about us?" Jeno asked Jinkyong who's spinning slowly on her wheeled chair.

She had mumbled something and Jeno managed to catch and now it has become their main topic- well, at least, he was trying to make it as it.

Jinkyong didn't want to say anything.

After noticing how down she had been recently, Jeno took the initiative to check on her himself and when he asked what had her spirits low, she spoke underneath her breath,

"I hate that I can't bravely announce about us."

His gaze softened and hand reached out to cup her cheek. His warm palm slowly thawing her frozen skin.
"You're brave enough, Jinkyong. It's me who can't afford to give you the chance to show that... I'm sorry."

  The girl responded nothing but opened her arms wide and scooped him in, laying his head on her shoulder as he stroked the back of his head.

  "You have nothing to apologize for. So don't ever apologize for this again, hm? Ever— this is a threat, by the way."

Jeno snorted and smiled against the side of neck before nuzzling close.

"Alright, I won't do it again- ever."

Jinkyong scrolls through the many articles writing about no other than the trending topic; her and Jeno. Although, her face still hasn't been revealed yet, thanks to her skillful ability of keeping a strict line between her work and private life.

After his public confession on live video last time, the Kpop world has been flooding with it- some of which are applauding him, labelling him as a lovestruck, valiant knight whose courage was beyond imagination. Some accuse him of being blinded by lovesickness and call him irresponsible and aloof due to his rash decision.

Some others have no opinion on it and are just there to fuel each side with their own arguments- this type generally being those who are not Nctzens.

But it didn't matter to Jinkyong because all she cares about is how she hasn't been able to reach Jeno at all since his confession, and that was around 2 days ago.

Now, it's not that she thinks he left her, but she is starting to get anxious because although they haven't found out who exactly is this faceless SM composer, Meraki, that Jeno spoke of, how long will this anonymousness withstand.

They won't find out her real identity...will they? What will they do if they actually did—

Ding dong!

  All noise muffles and even her head turns silent. Eyes shakily shift to the door and she seems to suppress her breaths- paranoid that whoever outside might hear.

  Is that them? Have they found me?

  The thought of having news reporters or an obsessive fanatic fan of Jeno standing outside her door scares her.

  Who knows what they might do to her?

  Slowly, she readies the police's number on her phone and holds an umbrella with her other free hand before swiftly swinging the door open.

  Her figure freezes and eyes widen.

  A panting Jeno stands outside with hands on his knees and skin glistening with sweat.

  He raises his head and smiles cheekily at her- eyes into crescents and cheeks glowing in a sweet pink.

  "Sorry I took a while to come. The company took my phone and running away from reporters is no easy feat," he apologizes and chuckles.
"Will you forgive me—"

  Kyo hastily pulls him into an embrace and tightly squeezes- not giving the slightest care towards the fact that she might get her clothes dirty, or the paparazzi that might be capturing their photos.

  Because all that matters now is that he's here. He's finally here.

  Her eyes are hot as they brim with tears and she sighs with relief.
"Stop apologizing, you fool. You've done nothing wrong."

  Jeno blinks fast with confusion but soon bursts into laughter as he strokes her head and carefully brings her back inside the house.