chapter twenty-one: obstacle

"I honestly thought it would have been Haein..."

  "Don't tell him your name, don't show him your face and just go- fast."

  "You won't be able to find out who he is. I won't tell you."

  "His head is in the clouds," Jaemin says and Chenle chuckles with crossed arms.

  He leans his shoulder against the wall as he stands slanted before adding, "Of Kyo."

  They laugh together and leave the pensive idol.

  They weren't wrong but the clouds he's in probably don't match with what they picture them to be.

  "You good?" Deiji asks suddenly, as she passes by him who sits on the couch.

  Jeno turns. "Oh? You're here."

  "I just came and saw you brooding. What's going on?" She sits beside him to talk.

  He hesitates, unsure if he's allowed to bring things up but remembers that Kyo and Deiji are in fact, family.
"Do you know anything about Kyo's dad?"

  His odd question makes her furrow slightly. "Not much. She doesn't talk a lot about her family- especially, her dad. Besides, we're cousins from our mothers' side, not the dad."

  The idol just bobs his head with a faint smile before he receives a notification.

[kyo🦋]:
is deiji there, already?

[jeno🐶]:
Yeah

[kyo🦋]:
okay, i'm coming soon too :D

Her text puts a smile on his face but, also causes the worrying dialogues from yesterday to resurface.

  "There's something bothering you, isn't it?"

  Jeno doesn't answer but his expression says it all and Deiji smiles assuringly.

  "Then, tell her. Kyo is one of the most open-minded people I've ever met. She wouldn't get angry about something like this," Deiji assures and she leaves to see her boyfriend.

  As more thoughts pile in his head, the doorbell rang and he tends to it. Expectedly, Jinkyong arrives.

  "Hey!" She chirps and he smiles at her addicting enthusiasm before they relax in his room.

  "No songs to work on today?" Jeno asks as she puts down her bag onto the bed.

  She shakes her head. "No. I've finished most and the rest is Haein's part to do."

  Jinkyong sits herself beside Jeno on the bed and turns to him. "Why? You want me out?"

  The idol chuckles and pulls her in his arm- chin on top of her crown. "Of course not. I was just asking."

  Warmth embraces him when her arms snake around him and he slowly drops his body onto the bed so they lie beside each other.

  "I know..," she replies feebly and he can hear her sleepiness.

  He looks down. "Are you tired? Just sleep, then. I don't mind."

  "I know you don't but, I do. I came here to spend time with you not to sleep. If it was then I would've just asked for a sleepover," she says out stubbornly yet, yawns after.

  Her eyelids become even heavier when his hand starts to pat her back in slow, calming rythm.

  "What are you doing?" She slurs out and feels herself getting pulled closer- forehead now touching his chest as his legs lock with hers.

  "Putting you to sleep. Just with you being beside me is enough as spending time together so don't be stubborn," he sternly says and she scoffs- earning a flick on her temple

  She yelps and glares up at him. "That hurts!"

  His low chuckles can be felt from the vibration of his chest and she smacks it.
"I'm getting tired too, actually. Should we just rest today?"

  Hearing his suggestion, she can't help but nod and again, he enjoys chuckling at her honest replies.

  They lay with her scooped up in his welcoming arms and his hand that constantly pats her to sleep.

  Snores leave her within mere short minutes but he still remains awake- thinking of what he and Deiji conversed about.

  He wants to know. He wants to understand so badly of what he heard and witnessed that day at Kyo's place.

  But he just can't seem to ask. The fear of what answer awaits him becomes an obstacle to his decision and he just can't seem to cross over it.