chapter thirty-nine: awakening

"Jeno... Oh my, Jeno!" Jinkyong gasps at the late realization of her idol standing in front of her.

  She stumbles and Jeno flinches, about to hold her but stops immediately when she catches herself against the wall.
"O-oh, I'm sorry. I just, I got shocked that I'm actually seeing you here. I mean, it is your dinner party but, um."

  Her stammering shows how her fluster and it's clear her mind is in chaos from how she can't seem to set her eyes and steady her fiddling hands.

  "Iㅡ"

  She emits a subtle gasp when a pair of warm, large hands holds hers together, miraculously halting the quivers and calming her thoughts.

  "It's okay. You don't have to apologize. Take your time," Jeno says with a smile so bittersweet that even in the dim corridor they are in, she can still perceive it so clearly.

  "Thank you..." She says in a daze. Why does she feel so strangely secure and... loved at his touch?

  She blinks fast. Oh gosh, I'm not becoming like those odd, 'i'm not like other girls' fans am I??

  "I meant to ask if I could take a photo with you?" She requests, sounding more of a question and for a moment there, she's sure his brows twitch to a furrow.

  Like he's struck by an abrupt pain but he smiles it off and nods.

  "Of course," he says and naturally stands beside her- bending down his body to match hers better.

  Jinkyong's heart flutters and she raises his phone. "1, 2, 3."

  Click!

  Her heart throbs and she gasps, arm falling back to her side while her other hand clutches the fabric covering her chest.

  "Jinkyong! What's wrong?? Kyo!" His voice raises and he holds her up by the arms.

  His shouts, however, only sound muffled before an incessant, deafening ring starts to engulf her hearing.

  "It's fine. I'm okay," she pants out despite the clenching, growing pain in her chest.
"It's normal."

  Her answer leaves him flabbergasted.

  "Normal? How long has this been going on?" Jeno interrogates and tightens his grip when she gradually turns limp.

  "It's just chest pains..." She breathes out. It's true, partly. It's been happening ever since she woke up from her short coma. But the weird part is, it usually only happens whenever she sees or thinks about Jeno.

  For example, when she sees his performances or his pictures or when she thinks of him smiling- her heart aches. She went to the doctors but each and everyone said it was chest pains.

  But she knew better- it's not her chest that hurts, but her heart. She deduced that it may be those kind of 'loving someone so much that it hurts' situations.

  "Kyo!" Jeno calls out just as her eyes start to shut.

  "Kyo!" @#£&# shouted when Jinkyong sprinted away to her dad to stop him but just like every show out there, it wouldn't be a drama without a little tragedy.

  Her eyes open by a slight at the confusing clip. What was that?

  But it only goes downhill as her pain seems to multiply and her breaths turn quick and short, suffocated at the heavy feeling on her chest.

  It's never been this severe.

  Darn it. This is a crappy first impression for my idol, she curses in her head.

  His shouts alarm the others who then, start to crowd around and call 119.

  "Jinkyong! Kyo, don't go to sleep! Stay awake!" Deiji yells when the frail girl's breaths begin to slow, now able to breathe properly but her consciousness is starting to leave.

  That's when a tender warmth embraces her whole and a familiar, floral detergent fragrance overtakes her sense of smell.

  "Jinkyong..." A voice whimpers and the hands that hug her close, clenches but not to the point that it hurt.

  Traffic lights flickered red and a loud, resonating honk resounded in the air.

  Her eyes slowly close.