chapter thirty-three: blame

Jinkyong lays still under a blanket pulled up to her chest. Her clothes now changed into a hospital gown, skin punctured by a needle and her colours pale from the lack of vitality

  The heart monitor shows her stable beats but despite that, she remains in an undisturbed sleep.

  "She didn't get any severe damages since the car managed to decelerate however, she did get a hard fall and impact to the head. It was just a slight bleeding so the reason she's still unconscious is probably due to the shock. Don't worry so much, I have no doubt that she will wake up soon," the doctor assigned to her tells Jiha, Miya and Saekyong at the lounge area of the private ward.

  After giving their thanks, the doctor leaves and silence accompanied with a heavy tension fills the room once more.

  The family knows every detail of what happened, Jiha was honest with them at the very least so their cold attitude towards them is justifiable.

  "Must you be so controlling all the time?" Miya decides to break the quiet. "This wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for you, do you know that?? You're the root of this. Have you ever thought of what could've happen if the driver couldn't react fast enough when he saw her?? She would'veㅡ"

  Miya stops herself from saying the unfortunate and Saekyong holds her mother's hand for comfort, empathising with her.

  Although, she says nothing about the issue, the rancour is clear from the way she refuses to meet her father's gaze and when she does, she keeps it no longer than a glance.

  "I'll go get us something warm to drink, mom. It's getting colder now the sun's going down," Saekyong tells Miya, completely disregarding her father and exits the room.

  The door shuts close and she turns, instantly met with a tall figure upon her with his face covered with a cap and health mask, a common combination at the hospital.

  Sae politely bows and is just about to walk away when the other speaks.

  "Is she okay?"

  Although, she's not that all familiar with the voice, the heart wrenching emotion that fills it, the slight tremble and noticeable cracks- like the tone of one who just finished crying, tells her the identity.

  "Jeno?" Saekyong confirms, unafraid because no one is around the private wards area except for them.

  The other lifts his cap up slightly, enough for her to recognize him and she's left speechless by how red and puffy his eyes are- the strong glisten of them making it look like he's about to burst in tears any second.

  "She's doing okay. The bleeding stopped, there aren't any severe injuries and she should be waking up soon," Sae answers him and he nods feebly to show his attention.

  "Can you tell me when she does?" Jeno asks and she nods before they exchange numbers.

  Saekyong gives back his phone. He bows respectfully and swivels, about to walk away until she interrupts.

  "Wait! Don't you want to see her first?"

  Jeno curls his fingers but he turns to her with his eyes in crescents. "My manager is already waiting. I...I'm afraid that if I go in, I wouldn't want to leave. I don't deserve to stay."

  The last sentence he said was more of a mumble and muffled by his mask, making it more difficult for her to distinguish but she managed to catch a few parts.

  'Deserve?' 'See?' Sae echoes in her head as Jeno gives another bow, with his head this time.

  "Don't forget to tell me if she's woken up and I hope she gets well soon," Jeno wishes.

  Saekyong's brows bend sympathetic. "Jeno, whatever you think, this isn't your fault. None of it is. There are many to blame but you're not one of them."

  Her words seems to touch him in a way from the way his fists loosen but it's only for a mere blink before they clench tighter than before and he hides them behind him.

  "Thank you," he only responds faintly before retreating once more.