Wisdom Teeth

Drew groaned as he held his cheek. He was in a lot of tooth pain and he didn't know what to do about it. He wanted his dad there with him,but that wasn't going to happen.

He was curled up on the couch, holding his mouth in pain. He buried his face in the cusions, which only worsened it. Deep down, Drew knew what this meant. He'd need his wisdom teeth removed, but he was scared of surgery. He looked up as Aaron tapped his shoulder.

Are you okay? Aaron signed. He could talk, but he preferred not to. His hearing aids worked well, he could understand what people were saying. Aaron was self conscious about his voice though. Drew nodded. Aaron grabbed his brother’s shoulder as Drew looked away.

Do you want me to get you something, or to call Dad? You're hurting. Aaron signed. He looked concerned, the worry deep in his brown eyes.

"Ice" Drew murmured, and Aaron ran off to get some for him. Aaron came back with a cup of ice, which Drew held to his hurting gums. It soothed the pain a little, but it still really hurt. Lilac walked over to him and smiled. "You need to get that checked out." Drew hated that he agreed. "Tomorrow." He murmured. He didn't want to move right now, it was just too painful. Lilac nodded before gently patting her brother's head. Her green eyes pierced into his soul, her worry visible on her face.

Drew opened his eyes as he was shook awake by his older brother, Derek. He was only a year older than him, and he looked like a blue haired Drew, just a little bit taller with their mother's emerald green eyes. He looked worried. "What were you doing sleeping here?" Derek asked gently. Drew sighed before shrugging. Derek felt his forehead before mumbling "No fever." Drew nodded. He knew that but Derek seemed genuinely concerned.

"My gums hurt, back here." Drew muttered miserably, while pointing. "Yeah, we should probably go get that checked out. I was your age when my wisdom teeth came out." Drew's stomach churned at the thought of that.

Wisdom tooth removal is technically a surgery, and Drew was terrified of that. "Maybe it'll pass." Drew reasoned. "If it still hurts tomorrow, I'm taking you to the dentist." Derek replied. That was a fact.

Drew sighed as he walked downstairs. His brother was not going to drop this and Drew still hurt so bad. "You look terrible." Derek muttered. "Thanks" Drew murmured sarcastically. "No, did you seriously not sleep?" Drew sighed. Kinda hard when you're in pain. "Let's go." Drew's stomach dropped, but he followed anyways.

At the dentists, Drew's fears were confirmed. "You're going to need those teeth out. We have several openings next week." And so, in eight days, Drew would experience his very first surgery. This was scary.

Drew had told Jake about it and Jake replied, "You want me to be there? I'll calm you down." Drew had just responded a "Yes".

Drew spend the entire time worrying about it. He needed a distraction buy even around Jake and his siblings, none. He was still extremely anxious. And in excruciating pain.

Finally the day arrived. It was a Saturday, but he would still have to take several days off school. It was early in the morning, so it would be over and he had all day to relax at home. Drew walked in, Derek in front of him as Jake walked next to him.

Drew felt Jake's warm hand brush against his cold hand. A blush spread across his face before he could suppress it.

As they walk into the dentists, Drew's begins shivering. He'd forgotten his jacket at home. Jake noticed instantly and placed his on Drew.

Okay, Drew left his jacket at home on purpose. He knew how empathetic Jake is and he wanted nothing more than to pass out with the smell of Jake.

His jacket smelled like coffee, but Drew liked it. It made him happy to be wrapped up in Jake's jacket. After being in the waiting room, they were called back. Drew held Jake's hand as the dentist in front of him explained the procedure. After a little bit of laughing gas, it was time for sedation.

Jake eyed the needle in disgust, he hated them more than anything else. Even Zoey!

Drew eyed it as well and Jake squeezed his hand. Then, the needle poked Drew's skin and the dentist said "Tell me when you start to feel tired." After a few seconds, Drew did and then, promptly fainted.

Jake opened his phone, unable to look during the procedure, he had one hand on his phone, the other holding Drew's limp hand. He occasionally glanced up, but tried not to in order to keep calm. Even though Drew couldn't feel a thing at the moment, Jake knew that once the medicine wore off, he'd be in severe pain.

Derek watched the surgery, as he was studying to be a surgeon, he was rather interested. Although, he didn't like the idea of his little brother being in pain. Derek loved his brother, even though he'd never admit it.

Finally, they were finished and now Jake and Derek had to wait until Drew awoke. Jake stared at Drew for a bit too long, not unnoticed by Derek.

Derek watched Jake stare at Drew, with worried but adoring eyes. Jake looked quite worried, but the affection in his eyes was there.

After a while, Drew awoke and they left. As they walked to the car, Drew leaned on Jake, he was exhausted, not to mention he hadn't said a word. The silence was killing Jake, he just wanted to hear Drew's voice.

"In the back with me, Jake." Came Drew's voice. Jake was about to sit in the middle, but Drew said "Other window seat." Jake obeyed and as soon as they were buckled, Drew was lying in his lap. " Wha-Drew?" Jake asked as his face went blood red.

"Jake, thanks for being there today. I love you." Derek physically recoiled, giving Jake the 'Overprotective older brother look' and Jake placed his hand in Drew's hair, but since Drew was already out, he didn't say anything.

Jake did feel his face and ears burning but he tried not to think about it too much.