Love to Hatred to Love

A/N Drew angst!

Drew didn't always hate music. In fact, his mother, Christy was a singer. She had an official career and everything. Her voice was beautiful, and when Drew was little, he and his siblings would fall asleep listening to it. He loved it and her to death.

All throughout elementary, he loved music. He didn't sing, but he liked listening to it. His mother and father were the best singers he'd ever heard. His siblings, Derek, Aaron, and Lilac agreed. They all loved their mother very much.

So what happened, you may ask? She and their father got into a horrible fight about her career and she chose her career over her family. Without any regrets she left them.

Drew had awoken to her footsteps around the house as she quietly attempted to leave.

"Leaving without a goodbye?" Drew had asked. Christy had turned around, looking like a deer caught in headlights. "Baby, why are you awake?" Drew rolled his eyes. "You woke me up, but that's not the point."He murmured.

"Mom, you're not coming back, are you?" Drew had asked. His mother shook her head. "I thought so. I saw the divorce papers." Drew said, rubbing his eyes.

Christy's eyes widened as she murmured,"I'm sorry. Tell your siblings I love them very much. I'll still call, or send letters, I promise!" She said, desperately.

"Fine. Just leave. You're making this way too hard." Drew said. On the outside, he looked calm, indifferent, but on the inside, he felt like crying. He knew he'd burst into tears if she stayed longer.

The second she left, tears flooded his eyes and hot tears streamed down his face. There went his mom and his love for music. Her promise to keep in touch, never fulfilled.

Everytime Drew heard her on the radio, he changed the station. When he saw her on T.V, he shut it off. It got to the point where he couldn't stand music. Nobody knew why Drew hated music, they just knew he did.

He hated Hailey because she sounded just like her. It wasn't fair! He was so angry about it. He had bullied her out of anger because of who she sounded like. He knew it was wrong but he couldn't stop. It was the only thing to ease tke pain. He had used Hailey to say all the things he had wanted to say about his dear mother.

One day, Jake and Drew were alone in Jake's room. They were talking and laughing, just being able to be themselves in each other's company. Jake had been curious for a while, and decided to ask Drew why he hated music so much.

"Hey, Drew?" Jake mumbled. "Hm?" Drew responded. "Why do you hate music so much?" Drew tensed up. "Umm...!" Jake noticed this and wrapped his arms around Drew. "Please, I just wanna know."

Drew took a deep breath. "My mom used to sing. I loved it. She was so kind and her voice was so sweet. Then, my mom left us because Dad didn't want her going on tours. She left without a single care. Ever since, I've hated, no, despised music." Drew admitted. He looked at Jake, expecting an eye roll or something else, but instead, he got a sad, tearful look.

"Drew, I'm so sorry!" Jake tackled him in a hug, and Drew sighed. "It happened a long time ago, I'm alright. It just infuriates me and I don't know why!" Drew explained.

"I can tell you haven't dealt with your trauma. Not every musician is like your mother. Recognize that. I'll never leave you for music. I can promise you that." Jake said. Drew looked at him, skeptically. "You wouldn't?" He asked.

Ugh! I sound like a pathetic child right now! Drew thought angrily.

"Of course not! And it's wrong of her to do so." Drew looked away. He was relieved and happy. The words he had wanted his mother to say, Jake had said. It made Drew's heart beat happily, and warmth was quickly spreading around his body.

Drew smiled his genuine smile. "You know I love you, right Jake?"

Jake didn't know how to respond so he didn't. Drew's smile disappeared, but didn't say anything else.