Young Adventurers

There it was. The gem shone a brilliant orange in the moonlight.

Many myths and legends had been told about this special stone: It was called the forbidden stone of Potentia. Only the bravest of souls could find and carry it, and there she was, famous adventurer and explorer, Buttercup Utonium, standing before the carved rock that encased the glowing gem.

She reached out to take it, but hesitated, reminding herself of the many dangerous consequences of this stone told by many tales.

It could bring great fortune; but removing the stone from its home would awaken a great spirit, one that would forever trap your soul inside the gem if it found you.

Buttercup questioned the story, whether they were true or just told to keep the treasured prize untouched. But she knew there was only one way to find out.

As if her life depended on it, she grabbed the gem and sprinted in the direction of her boat, shoving it in her her leather pouch as she ran. She knew she must get off the deserted island and get to safety as soon as possible.

However, as the young adventurer raced through the long grass and dodged between the trees, she saw a tall cloaked figure standing by her cruiser boat on the beach. It wore a long black mask and held a tall staff, the dark cloth looked torn and burnt at its ends.

Buttercup immediately halted and stared at the figure as it raised its boney, crooked hand towards her boat, the boat began to float backwards into the ocean and much out of the reach of Buttercup.

"Holy Fuck." She whispered to herself in shock, beginning to run back into the forest. The island was huge, and she hoped to use that to her advantage to hide from this mysterious figure. However, the bright orange colour glowing through her pouch from the stone wasn't helping.

Loud and heavy footsteps trod behind her, making Buttercup sprint even faster, looking frantically for a place to hide.

Failing to do so, she circled back around to the direction of her boat, knowing it was the only way she could get away from whatever this thing was.

Returning to the beach, she saw her boat in the distance but she knew she'd have to swim quite far out to get to it. As she was about to enter the water, the figure appeared in front of her, making her stumble back and fall into the sand.

"You are a courageous one, daring to take my forbidden stone." The deep voice thundered. "Unfortunately, your bravery must now come to an end." it boomed.

Buttercup shuffled backwards as its boney arms raised it's staff, the gem in Buttercup's pouch began to levitate and burn through the leather, glowing blindingly.

Buttercup shielded her eyes, acknowledging that the mysterious figure was the 'great spirit' from the tales, who would now to trap her soul inside the gem. Buttercup had accepted her fate.

The spirit screeched a deafening screech and harsh winds blew in her face. Buttercup looked up, expecting to see her life coming to an end, but instead see someone standing in front of her. They had short black hair that blew in the unnaturally strong winds and held a large bright blue gem up to the spirit, seeming to harm it. It let out a long, high pitched shriek as it tried to escape. Only to dissolve into the air and the winds came to a stop.

"What on great earth-" Buttercup started.

"You're welcome." The person interrupted. They turned to face her and held out a hand to help her up.

She took the mysterious person's hand and stood up, it was only at eye level that she could see them properly.

His back hair blended in with the night sky and he had dark green eyes. She recognised him.

"You nearly just got sucked into that thing." he said, pointing at the orange gem that was now lying in the sand.

"Right... Now let's get out of here before anything else happens." She said, picking up the stone and walking into the water towards her boat.

"Wait. Hang on." He lifted the bright blue gem again, and the cruiser boat began to drift towards them.

"What is that thing?" Buttercup asked

"It's the Mutare stone. It can repel any demon or evil spirit and reverse anything they have done. In this case, moving your boat back."

As the boat reached the shore they both climbed in. "You seem very calm for someone who nearly just died." He stated, but Buttercup shugged and got her compass out, turned the engine on and steered the boat in the correct direction to go back home.

Once they were headed in the correct direction, Buttercup started a conversation again.

"Thank you for... saving me. But, i have to ask, why were you on the island?" She asked

"To find you." He stated. "You would never be able to steal the stone without some help." He laughed.

"How did you know I was looking for it? And how did you even get on the island?" She asked again

"You told me when we were younger that you were going to find it. Oh and, I had to cash in a huge favour from my friend to drop me off at this freaky place-"

"I told you when we were younger? What? ...Do I know you?"

"You did. It's Butch, we used to go exploring together when we were kids. Remember?"

Buttercup's confusion turned into a frown, she picked up the speed of the boat, making it go faster. "Very funny, asshole."

"What?" He asked.

"Butch died. Right in front of my eyes. 6 years ago. You are not Butch Jojo."

The two sat in silence, until Butch spoke up again.

"I got you that leather pouch for your 11th birthday." Butch said, nodding towards the leather pouch that hung over Buttercup's shoulder.

"You could have asked someone about that. Plus it's not very useful now" Buttercup said, pointing to the hole the gem had burnt through the leather.

"I'll get you another one" Butch said.

"If you're Butch, explain how I saw you die in front of me." Buttercup snapped, furious of his persistence.

Butch chuckled, "We were young and stupid Butters, the snake that bit me wasn't venomous like we thought."

Buttercup began to tear up, but she looked straight on and continued to steer the boat, refusing to let him see.

"But I-" She started and her voice cracked

"I don't blame you for running away Butters, it was scary, we were just kids."

Buttercup couldn't take it anymore and began to break down. Her head fell into her arms which gripped the wheel tighter as she sobbed.

"No. It can't be. The rattle snake-"

"It was a gophersnake, no venom. I think I just fainted from the fear and pain." Butch said as he walked up behind her, putting his hand on her shoulder.

Buttercup frantically turned around and hugged her old friend as hard as she could, making Butch chuckle and wrap one arm around her shoulders, and the other one behind her head.

"I've missed you so bad." Buttercup cried.

"I've missed you too, I haven't stopped looking for you since I woke up in that forest."

"But that was 6 years ago" Buttercup laughed as tears still streamed down her face.

"6 years, 24 days and 3 hours, to be a little more precise. You're hard to track." Butch smirked

"And you're still a dork" Buttercup said.

The two went silent and just stared at eachother for a moment, happy to see eachother once again.

Buttercup could feel Butch inching closer very slowly, so she stood on her tip-toes and took the chance for him. As she kissed him, she realised how she'd never been this happy since before Butch 'died'.

Butch smiled into the kiss, proud of finally finding the girl he's loved all these years.

The two broke apart and just smiled at eachother, never wanting the moment to end.