Chapter 33 - "Micah, I think I'm having an existential crisis."

"Are you ready for this, Angry Biker Girl?" Courtney asked.

Max turned around at the sound of Courtney's voice then surveyed the crowd of escaping prisoners... correction, students.

Courtney and Max stood in the center of the mass exit. A focal point for passing gazes. Though Courtney was used to attention, she figured Max wasn't. Max held the strap of her bag and leaned to one side, clearly going for a confident but unbothered pose.

Might fool everyone else, but not me. Gonna have to work harder than that, Max. That strap is about to die from the stranglehold you have on it. The rebel is scared of a cheerleader, this is an amusing situation. Well, amusing if Max wasn't trying so hard to be tough.

Courtney took a step closer. "You don't have to do this. I offered but that doesn't mean you have to accept. You have nothing to prove to Brie."

Max dropped her confident pose, her eyes widening a fraction. And there's the real Max.

"How about this?" Courtney said. "I'm going to walk to my car. I'll be walking on my brace so it will take time. If you choose to follow me back to my house, that's up to you."

Without waiting for a response, Courtney headed into the parking lot. When she got to her car and looked back at the curb, Max no longer stood there. I guess we'll see.

Courtney pulled into the main school lane and drove slowly. As she passed Max and her bike, Max met her gaze. Contrary to the black attire and the motorcycle, she looked normal, like another girl who felt uncertain about who she was.

Fudge nuggets, you're human Max.

Max slid on her helmet and trailed Courtney's car out of the school parking lot. As she drove, Courtney glanced back at the rearview mirror. Every time she found Max right behind her.

Past self?

Yes, present self.

Tell me again why we offered to coach the girl who was mean to us?

Because we're making up for all misrepresented cheerleaders portrayed in teen fiction.

I feel like we need a stronger reason.

This is the girl Micah likes and if you want to stay his friend you'll have to be on good terms with her.

Wow, wish my past self was less logical. Can't you come up with a weaker argument for me to go against?

You have a compulsive need for people to like you.

I'm leaving this conversation.

You can leave this conversation but you can't leave yourself behind.

Groaning, Courtney leaned her head back against the headrest. That was not helpful. She stopped at a red light and glared at it.

I should have said no to helping him from the beginning. Yes, I was going to be able to say no to the awkward guy who helped me in my time of need and looked adorably out of his element. Courtney moaned in despair as she clutched the steering wheel and laid her forehead on it.

What's the point of being a cute blonde if the guy likes someone else?

Courtney jerked upright. That's it. Pathetic whining moment over. Too much self-pity will only create wrinkles. She shook her head and then her body. Let it go. Fact: Micah likes Max. Fact: I am his friend. Fact: this sucks but that's life. Fact: get over it.

The light turned green and Courtney drove on.

By the time Courtney parked her car, she could greet Max with a pleasant smile, having spent the rest of the drive mentally flinging her unwanted thoughts out the window. She only hoped they didn't hitchhike their way back to her.