12

* ─────────° ° ───────── *

I crept into the camp, being as careful as possible. Then, turning my head to check behind me, I bumped into a hard chest. "Oops, sorry," I say, looking up.

Peter.

The atmosphere instantly changes. He looked angry; I could see his veins popping out his arms. I gulped down my built-up anxiety as I started to fiddle under his stare.

"Where have you been?!" He grunts, gripping my arm. I divert my eyes to the ground, looking at the dirt and taking in the details of the patterns. "Anastasia, look at me" He grabs my chin harshly, making me look at him.

"Answer, where you been?" I stare up at him, contemplating what I should tell him. Rule number 1, Never Ever trust anyone. "I went for a walk," I say as confidently as I can, still my lower lip quivers.

"Anastasia, I hate lairs, so I suggest you tell me where you were or who you were with." Suddenly all my confidence left my body. Shit, what do I say? "Uhm...I wasn't with anyone?" I say in more of a questioning tone.

Ugh, why is it so hard to lie to him?!

"I suggest you act smart with your response Anastasia, you wouldn't want to get a punishment would you?" He raises an eyebrow. His grip on my arm tightens as I try to wiggle my way out.

What's up his ass this morning? Plus, who cares who I'm talking to? I mean, why would HE care who I'm talking to? I'm not that important. "I was just talking to one of the lost boys, but only for a bit because then I went to-" He cuts me off, "Who?" He says, anger laced in his voice.

I let out a shaky breath, "Uhm...erm...I don't know his name; I guess I forgot," I say shruggy. A pit in my stomach forms, well, I wouldn't call that lying; I mean, I did forget his name. Whoops.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Peter harshly let go of me, causing me to stumble a little. "I will be back very soon, and when I do, I'm having a little talk with you, Anastasia."

I huffed out of frustration. "Also, stay at the camp; I don't want you wandering around." He says pauses for a little but continues, "This is a warning; if I found out you left the camp, there will be consequences." He threatens while walking away leaving me standing there at the far end of the camp by myself.

***

Well shit. I wouldn't be lying if I told you that I was terrified. I used always to get punished back home. Belts, threats, being left in cold empty rooms, and starvation were all standard methods my father used. I shivered at the thought of him.

Sighing, I decided to walk into the camp. I fiddled with the string connected to my dress, hoping to calm my nerves. There were only a few boys around; I saw one little boy, aged 5 or 6. Why was he here and this young?!

I saw him run, then trip and fall, crashing down to the hard floor. I quickly rushed over to the little boy's aid. I could see his eyes begin to tear up. I don't know what to do. I have never been in this situation. Hell, I wasn't allowed to be in this situation when I was little, so I had no idea how to react.

Panic overtakes me, so I quickly hug the boy. He instantly hugs back, crying into my shoulder. I looked down to see a little blood running down his leg. Poor guy must have taken a pretty bad fall.

He sniffles, calming down a little. He lets go of me after some time, and I take this opportunity to look at his leg. Thankfully it wasn't a deep cut, but blood still dripped down. I needed to get some cloth and put pressure on the wound.

Looking around, there wasn't much material to use, so I ripped some off my dress. I used the fabric to apply pressure to the wound to slow the blood flow. I heard small whimpers from him as I pressed the cloth on his injury.

Sighing, I realised I didn't have anything to clean his wound with. Panicking, my hands start to shake while I look around, hoping to find anything. Maybe one of the lost boys has something?

I tied the fabric around his leg, "Stay here", I said quickly. He nods but soon groans in pain. I look around frantically, trying to find anyone.

"Shit," I say under my breath. I pace around the camp, hoping to stumble across a lost boy, but with my luck, I come across Peter. (Note the sarcasm) He was walking in with a dead dear and another boy to his side. He doesn't take notice of me as he walked.

I quickly pace over while my stomach does a flip out of nervousness. Peter stops as I stand in front of him. He raises an eyebrow, and my nerves kick in. "Uhm..." I say, my mind going flat. There was silence until he spoke up. "Yes?" He says, getting impatient. "Erm, a boy, no- a little kid....he fell over and has a bleeding cut, and I need some cleaning supplies...for him!" I mutter out a bit too quickly.

He immediately understood and ordered the boy next to him to get the supplies. "Show me where", He spoke confidently. I quickly walked over to the crying boy on the ground while Peter followed me.

It wasn't a bad cut, but I was still worried for the boy; I could see that the bleeding had stopped, so it was the perfect time to clean the wound.

I stood there awkwardly a few steps behind the boy as Peter took the young boy to a tent. Once they had gone into the tent, I signed out of relief.

Now what?

Should I stand here and wait, or should I leave? It might look a little awkward if I stand here waiting. So I decided to explore the camp a little more while no one was around. I figured the lost boys were out hunting because of the dead, dear.

I started to look around but found nothing interesting or out of the ordinary. My legs began to hurt, so I sat down on a random long near the campfire. I got bored, so I made little doodles in the dirt.

A plant with a cat riding a hotdog car. I smirked at my creation. Then, just as I was about to get up and do something else, I heard a few voices in the distance.

* ─────────° ° ───────── *

Word count: 1139