20: everyone knows

Start from the beginning

"My guess is Jessica paid her off with something. It's diabolical."

I ran my hands over my face.

"So, you mean to tell me my eleven-year-old sister is the reason everyone knows Brian's secret?"

Christine twisted her lips.

"Pretty much."

"Oh my god. I have to go" I stood up. "I really gotta talk to my sister. And I have to tell Brian what happened."

"He's gonna forgive you. Text us when he does."

I smiled, hugging my friend.

"Thanks, Christine. See you guys later."

---

Brian Mckenzie was laying on his bed that evening. that had been his favourite spot for the last couple of days.

"Brian! The door."

"Who is it?"

"A girl."

Brian sighed, sitting on the edge of his bed. "Amanda? I told you, I'm not speaking to her."

"It's not Amanda."

Brian tilted his head.

"Huh?"

The blonde-haired junior made his way to the door to see Jessica Taylor standing on his doorstep.

He stopped walking.

"You?"

Jessica smiled. "Hey."

"What are you doing here? Have you come to run it in my face? Make fun of me like everyone else?"

Jessica frowned. "No. Actually, I'm here to wave the white flag."

"The white flag?"

"Since we broke up, there's been all of this tension between us. I've been wanting to talk to you for so long, and I didn't know how. Although I wish it happened under different circumstances, I think the right time is now."

Brian licked his lips, as he thought.

"You can come in."

"Thank you."

They walked to Brian's bedroom and he closed the door behind them.

"So what's up?"

Jessica hesitated. "Why didn't you tell me, Brian?"

"Seriously?"

"Yes seriously."

"You would've judged me!"

"No, I wouldn't have."

"Come on, Jessica. You're the most popular girl at school, do you really think I would have told you I'd never slept with a girl? It's embarrassing."

"Surprising, yes. Embarrassing? Not really."

"You're only saying that because you feel sorry for me, and I really don't want you to feel that way."

"Is this the reason we broke up? Because you were too nervous to sleep with me?"

"Please, keep your voice down."

"Sorry."

Brian sighed. "And maybe? Yes? Okay, look I know it's super lame and weird for a guy my age to be saying it, but I didn't wanna take things further when I knew I...when I have no idea how to even be with a girl like that. I'd rather save myself the embarrassment before it happened."