1. Into The Book

Original upload: July 17th, 2022. 

Edited: February 17,2023.

Jenny opened her eyes and flinched as the light assaulted them. Her head throbbed lightly, but the pain was ebbing. She vaguely heard a girl's voice telling her to wake up and wondered what happened. 'There shouldn't be anybody out here on the property line', she thought to herself.

She heard howling in the distance. Coyotes at this time of day? She caught her balance and jumped up. While coyotes shouldn't target her, she wasn't going to sit around and find out if they wanted to test their luck on a human. While her mind was trying to process logical course, she was yanked on.

"We need to run. Can you?" A young girl with a higher pitched voice asked her. Jenny glanced at her warily before looking towards the direction of the howls.

Jenny froze. The scenery around her was very different than what it should have been. She wasn't able to think about that too deeply as she was full on sprinting the next second. Her and the girl next to her ran as fast as they could.

Considering they were in a very dense forested area, Jenny questioned whether the canines chasing her were coyotes. Instead of turning around to check like an idiot would, she glanced at the passing trees. She wanted to climb a tree, but cursed when she saw that the closest branches were too high up.

Jenny was used to climbing trees and there weren't a lot of options right now. She flung her adrenaline fueled body and caught a branch. She swung from one hand as she noticed the girl had fallen down.

"Hey! Can you get up?" Jenny yelled to the girl as she got her other hand on the branch. It bounced with her weight and she swore. Looking back at the girl, Jenny bit her lip. She wasn't in a position to help. It would haunt her if the girl died in front of her, but she wasn't ready to get killed over it. She was sure that adrenaline didn't give her enough of a boost to beat down wolves with her bare hands.

Before the girl could respond, an extra large leopard jumped in front of her and roared. The wolves backed up long enough for the leopard to grab the girl and put her in the tree. Jenny hurriedly pulled her legs up and tried to swing the rest of her body onto the branch. She hazarded a look at the girl and leopard, but the leopard jumped back down and attacked the wolves.

Jenny couldn't even appreciate the odd behavior. Her mind kept telling her over and over that leopards shouldn't belong anywhere near her parent's property, even though she was well aware that she wasn't there anymore. Her logic wasn't matching her common sense.

Before Jenny could really think about the situation, the wolves ran when the leopard tore out the probable alpha's throat. The leopard roared one more time and jumped up in front of the girl. The girl screamed and Jenny felt all the blood rush from her face. It wasn't logical. None of this was. If the leopard was hungry, it should have eaten the wolf it killed, not gone back for the girl. Unless it was a man-eater that had saved its meal.

Jenny gulped as her mind tried to play a hundred scenarios a minute. Before she could think anymore, the leopard suddenly became a man. Jenny blinked and blinked some more. She was sure the severity of the situation must have twisted her mind. The man started speaking as the girl yelled at him. The man introduced himself as Parker and the girl, Bai Qingqing.

Jenny's heart stopped for a second. She recognized those names and this situation, but she couldn't comprehend it. Parker did not give her the time as he shifted back into a leopard and carried the girl from the tree to the ground. He did the same for Jenny.