Chapter 9 - Soul Privilege

1,125th SoulCon

Shaman Sunflower surveys the audience and inwardly rolls her eyes. She wonders if anyone truly understands Nature's never-ending cycle of Life and Death. She wonders if any of her fellow lecturers understand that one of them is a goddess. Probably not, unless they have one of the two gifts of Sight: Second, or Veil-Piercing, both of which have become quite rare (at least among her kind.)

She looks up at what must be the Royal Box, and sees the handsome prince, surrounded by teenagers, younger than himself. Their auras were interesting, though. All but one is God-touched. A cough from the audience brings her back to her train of thought, and she continues.

"With all due respect to the opinions expressed by my colleagues, the idea of a separate mind, body and spirit is ludicrous. All are connected, of a whole, and one. Take away one, and the whole is broken. Our souls are but small parts of the Universal Soul that is Nature. We are born of the Earth, live on it, and return to it. As the representative of not just the elves, but most of Beor's Magical sentient creatures, I am astounded that some of my colleagues reserve the possession of souls only to humanoids, denying the divine origins of all of Beor's living things. What is a soul, but a manifestation of the elements of air, fire, earth and water? Are not flareys possessed of souls? The Mer-folk, the Weres, the Gnolls, Giants, Trolls, Goblins and Centaurs? To whom does a soul belong? I say, all souls belong to Nature!"

The auditorium rings with cries of "Blasphemy!" (from the Church delegates) and "Nonsense" (from the older Academics) and her favorite, "She's Mad!" Sunflower laughed, her slender throat ululating with its bell-like sound. "Blasphemous to some, incomprehensible to others who dare not question what truths they think they know, and my partner would certainly agree with you that I am mad." The younger audience members laughed, which was good. She had their attention. "Forgive me, Your Eminence," she spoke with a nod to Benedictus, "but what about your one God, or the Pantheon? Do they possess what might be called a soul?" A murmur went through the auditorium.

"In Tasuil Beor, it is said that the Gods often walk among you. Who here has seen one, and talked to one? Anyone? My Elven ancestors tell me that the Gods abandoned us ages ago, after Shaka-La was lost in time and space. Raise your hands!"

There were two gasps from behind her, as she looked and saw not a single raised hand among the speakers. In the audience, there were none either. She was about to continue when a feminine "Ahem" caused her to look up. In the Royal Box, every single occupant had raised their hand, including Prince Ampersand! She'd heard of his intelligence, and bravery; and of his reported network of both ordinary and extraordinary citizens that kept him apprised of doings within the city – and yet here he was, playing the 'Divine Right' game. Pitiful!

"Your Majesty, I am delighted, and not at all surprised that royalty should claim acquaintance with the gods. It comes with the job, I suppose. As I was saying..."

"It's one thing to be rude," said a young woman's voice, which echoed loudly throughout the auditorium, "but it's another thing entirely to call our prince a liar." The speaker was the same voluptuous blond who'd said "ahem", sitting to the prince's right.

" The speaker was the same voluptuous blond who'd said "ahem", sitting to the prince's right

Elona was furious. She'd watched Ampersand wince slightly at the Elven woman's eloquently phrased accusation. But when she saw him sit down, he looked lost, as if he knew he had to respond, but didn't know how. Which, if you knew Ampersand at all, was completely out of character. When that woman began to simply dismiss him, something snapped – so she'd honed her indignation into a weapon, and threw down a gauntlet made of words.

"I made no such..." began Sunflower, in a condescending tone. Elona was having none of it.

"Oh, please. His highness might overlook such a beautifully worded accusation, but the Beorian press will not. As you well know. Speaking as one shaman to another, I'm sure his highness," she continued, using her foot to nudge Ampersand, "would be happy to answer your questions about his friends in high places."

Emilia was smiling that devilish smile, Pete looked ready to burst, and Espe...looked thoughtful. Elona nodded at the prince, and watched a change come over him. It was like watching, she later (much later) explained to Ravvy, a lamb become a lion. He stood up with a regal but easy bearing, and masterfully bowed.

"Come now, your most Evergreen wisdom Sunflower. What would you like to know? I know more than one, but I will not reveal their names. But I ask you, in return – have you met with a god, or goddess?"

 But I ask you, in return – have you met with a god, or goddess?"

This was not going well at all. That clever girl had upended everything. Will wonders never cease, Sunflower mused, a human with potential. She answered without thinking, "No, but there's one in this auditorium, if one has the eyes to see." And while that remark went by most everyone, there was one person present who looked, and saw, Anetha the Goddess of Wisdom and War.

"Would you say the gods you have met have souls of their own?" Sunflower asked.

The prince had an amused look on his face. "Have you ever seen a soul, Shaman?" She admitted that she hadn't. "Would you know a soul if you saw one?" She admitted that she wouldn't. "So, what is it that distinguishes a soul? Do you know? Because I think actions and feelings point to the presence, or absence, of a soul. And from what I've witnessed firsthand, I'd say that Gods – the ones I've encountered - do have souls."

"Gods do not die, your highness," noted the scholar, "and therefore Nature cannot reclaim their souls."

"Their souls might not belong to Nature. Have you considered that? Gods may not die, but they can be forgotten – which is a form of death, I suppose. Enough! I support your idea that it is likely that all sentient beings have souls – and possibly everything that lives. Please, continue." And he sat down, along with his troublesome blonde companion.

"Thank you, your highness, but I am overcome with your support of my Elven theology, and your sharing of your personal experiences with Beor's Pantheon. I yield the podium to my colleagues who have not yet spoken." As she returns to her seat, the next speaker brushes past her, causing her to trip on her moss dress. A strong hand clasps hers, giving her support. As she rises, she stares into the face of the Goddess of Wisdom, who gives her a wry smile.

"Forgiveness is a better choice, Lady Sunflower, than misplaced vengeance," she whispered, "Leave the past behind, and move forward with friends."