11. unspoken words

"Do you ever... feel broken?"

 feel broken?"

August 13th

"Hi" Sofia says, with her raspy morning voice. She just woke up and immediately called Robin.

"Good morning, Sof" Robin says.

"You sound busy, what's up?" Sofia asks, sitting in bed and taking a sip of water.

"I was just finishing... writing something" Robin replies, closing her notebook.

"The mysterious thing you've been working on and won't show me for some reason?" Sofia asks.

"Exactly" Robin says, hoping to avoid the subject. "How'd you sleep?"

"Great, I had a dream and you were in it" Sofia answers, opening her closet to pick out an outfit.

"Can you tell me about it?" Robin asks, curious.

"Ok, so, I was in this garden in Vienna, right? Then, a French guy came running to me and asked me if I wanted a croissant. I said no, because I had eaten one already. Then I looked to my side and I was suddenly on a Greek Island, and a guy named Sam was offering me to ride his boat? I don't really remember that much to be honest"

"Ok..." Robin says, listening carefully to Sofia.

"I entered the boat and the floor was grass, which I found very weird but I didn't say anything. Then I started walking on the boat and you were sleeping on the grass with a red rose on your hand" 

"Was I dead?" Robin asks.

"No, I don't think so. I just laid down next to you and suddenly there were fireworks in the sky, like the ones from the 4th of July... so I don't know if this dream was some sort of PTSD or just random" Sofia says, wondering what the source of the dream could be.

After a moment of silence, Robin speaks up. "Do you ever... think about it?"

"The 4th of July?" Sofia asks, feeling a shift in the atmosphere of the conversation.

"Yeah"

"I mean, sometimes. I try not to think about it, really" Sofia says. "Do you?"

"Yeah... but I think my brain just cut out the bad things, honestly. I don't remember much" Robin answers.

"That's normal, I think" Sofia says.

"Yeah" Robin says. "Look, my mom is calling for me, I gotta go"

"Okay, see you later" Sofia says and hangs up.

Sofia gets dressed and cleans her room. She cleans the dishes, gives Tews food and drives Dustin to the arcade, where he's meeting the rest of the gang.

The Byers are moving out in about a month, and Sofia wanted to give them a little gift. She drives to the record store, in hopes of finding something that they'd enjoy. For Jonathan, she buys Who's last by The Who. She tries to find any more albums that they might enjoy, but she can't.