Toad began to suspect something was up.

"Doesn't it feel like we've made more progress?" he said lowly. "I mean, we've been going in a straight line for like five minutes, right?"

"You sure about that?" Toadette asked.

"He's right," Waluigi realized, immediately stopping. The others did the same.

"What are you talking about?" Yoshi said, confused.

"I mean, look," Waluigi pointed to the walls. "We've seen these paintings before. And these same four doors. It's like some continuous loop."

Yoshi squinted his eyes down the hallway. The longer he stared, the further away it seemed.

"We'll need a new plan then," Yoshi accepted it, as if he were in charge.

"This must be Kamek's doing," Birdo presumed. "Only he is capable of these magical illusions."

"So, what do we do?" Toad griped.

Suddenly, they felt a rumble in the floor below their feet, and an ominous shadow could be made out in front of them, at the end of the hall.

"Quick, hide!" Waluigi hissed, diving into a nearby room. Luckily, Yoshi managed to slip into the same room Waluigi dove in.

Even though it was dark, Waluigi could tell it was a bedroom, just by the layout alone. With Yoshi behind him, he inched his way to the door way, ever so slightly peeking his eyeballs down the hall.

Indeed, the shadow had moved all the way up the stairs, until the Koopa King emerged from below.

He scanned the hall that they were hiding in. Waluigi was relieved that the others managed to get out of sight as well.

Seeing nothing, Bowser groaned loudly before turning to his left and continued out of sight.

Once the coast was clear, Waluigi wiped his forehead in a sigh of relief. Getting up from the floor, he flicked on the light.

He turned around, but Yoshi was gone.

"Yoshi?" he called out, keeping his voice low enough to not attract the big man in charge.

The whole bedroom was empty. It wasn't large, a single room with two beds, but the dino clearly was absent from it.

He snuck out into the hallway, looking right, then to the left. Nothing. Did the killer get to Yoshi right under his nose?

Suddenly, out of the corner of Waluigi's eye, he saw a blur coming straight for him.

"Jesus!" Waluigi yelled, holding his chest. "You almost gave me a heart attack."

Yoshi was standing in front of him, out of breath.

"I just checked all the rooms, I can't find them anywhere," he panicked. "It's like they've disappeared."

"What do you mean, they disappeared," Waluigi gulped. "I mean, they've got to be-"

"Take a look for yourself," Yoshi huffed, putting his hands on his knees.