Chapter 20: Haku's Past

Karen slowly opened her eyes to see the mirrors were utterly shattered, and Naruto was hesitant to punch unmask Haku in the face.

'Huh, what happened here? The last thing I remember is a strange chraka coming from Naruto. ' She thought as she slowly sat up, wincing from her headache.

"Geez, my head hurts. What going on with me," She muttered, rubbing her temples as she got on her knees, trying to stand on up.

"So that guy in the woods, that was you?" Naruto asked.

'That is quite a feminine-looking guy.' She thought as she put her sunglasses back on.

"Why do you not strike me?" Haku asked.

"Huh?" Naruto said.

Karen sluggishly stood up, looking at Naruto, wondering the same thing as Haku. He had the chance to take down Haku while he was talking.

"Did you not just vow to avenge your comrade's death by killing me? Or was that vow just empty words?" Haku asked.

Karen winced again as she turned to look at Sasuke, who was on the ground, covered in needles. Naruto then lets out a grunt as he is still hesitant to hit Haku for a few minutes before finally punching him and knocking him to the ground.

Haku got up, coughing up blood. Karen sighed at Naruto's pathetic punch as sluggish walked over towards them, freeing drained from early.

'What was that I did earlier because it made my head hurt and my chraka feel drained.' She thought, nearly falling back on the ground again from exhaustion.

"No, that won't do. You're still holding back. If that is all the strength you can put into it, you will never keep your vow. Perhaps he didn't mean as much as you pretend," Haku said, wiping the blood off his mouth.

Karen looked at Haku as he continued to talk instead of defending himself.

"To show mercy to those who oppose the one you serve...to allow their enemies to live...when you could strike them down. That is not compassion. It is a betrayal of your life's very purpose. For what reason do you exist then. You're of no use to no one. Your life has no meaning. It is mere existence. Day after day of pain and struggle, signifying nothing," Haku said as he stood on up.

"Yeah, well, speak for yourself," Naruto commented.

"Are you really that blind, little one? I am speaking of myself," Haku said, smiling."This day has shown that I am no longer used to Zabuza."

"Zabuza...why that guy anyway?! To devote your life to a rotten skunk who doesn't know the meaning of the word honor! If he's really the one person who matters to you...MAN, that's the sorriest thing I've ever heard!" Naruto shouted while Karen kept quiet, feeling herself drawn to hear Haku's reason for choosing Zabuza.

"There were once others who matter to me. A long time ago...My father and my mother. I was born in the Land of Water in a small village where the snow lies deep in the winter. My parents were farmers and very poor. Our life was hard, but we were content. My parents were good to each other and kind to me," Haku said. "Yes, we were happy once, but everything changed."

Karen looked down at the ground seeing how this story felt familiar in a way all of sudden.

"Because of something that happened long before I was even born, everything changed," Haku said.

"What do you mean? What was it? what happened?" Naruto asked frantically.

Haku paused."It wasn't my doing. It is in the blood," He said.

"Blood?" Naruto questioned.

"His Kekkei Genkai," Karen whispered, kneeling on the ground, trying to recover her energy.

"So what was it? You said something happened that changed everything!" Naruto yelled.

"It was my father who changed. He killed my mother, and he almost killed me," Haku said, making Naruto gasp."After years of suffering the horrors of civil war, the people of my land had come to fear and hate anyone who carried the Kekkei Genkai in their blood."

"Kekkei Genkai?" Naruto said, confused.

"The advanced bloodline trait of a clan. It's justu that abilities are passed down from generation to generation. Because of their unique abilities, the clans were used as mercenaries. They fought in many battles, and we're feared. But when the war was over, they were despised and shunned by people who feared their presence would only bring more war and misfortune," Haku explained."So it was that after the wars, these clans went into hiding, denying the bloodline trait that flowed in their veins, conceding their abilities, knowing that to be discovered meant certain death. If you have searched that boy's memories, I'm sure you will find them there too," Haku looked over at Sauske and then Karen, whose eyes were covered."Are even her memories."

'Why he look at me? I don't have a bloodline trait like him or Sasuke.' Karen thought, confused.

"The cruelty of people," Haku suddenly said."Their fear of things they don't understand. For many years my mother was successful in hiding her bloodline trait. She met and fell in love with a simple farmer. And they were married, and after that, my mother thought she would live a peaceful and ordinary life to the end of her days. My father had seen, and so he knew our secret, my mothers and mine. When I was finally myself again, I was no longer myself. My father and mother were gone, but I knew something else had been taken from me, something even more important. And that is when I truly despaired."

"More important than your mother and father?" Naruto asked.

"My purpose. In all the world, no one needed me. I was unnecessary," Haku said, looking at Naruto."Why is it your determined to be Hokage? Because you want all eyes in your village to look at you and recognize you as a great ninja. You see, it is only through the eyes of others that our lives have significance. When no one sees you, or even looks at you... it's as if you don't exist. Then Zabuza came along and looked at me, and his eyes were not full of hate or feat. He didn't shun me for my strangeness."

Karen her eyes as she thought about the Haruno family who kicked her out of the house, because she was different from the rest of them with her red hair and blue eyes.

"Indeed, my special abilities were just want he wanted. I was happy. I have failed you, Zabuza. Is am like a weapon that is broken and of no further use," Haku said, suddenly walking towards Naruto.

He then stopped in front of Naruto. "Naruto," He said quietly."Kill me."

Karen looked at Haku, who gave Naruto a free chance to kill him.

"Go on strike," Haku ordered him."Kill me."

Naruto started to breathe heavily."Why do you hesitate?" Haku asked.

Naruto growled and jumped back."That is the most ridiculous story I've ever heard! I mean, he treats you like a slave! You're a human being, not a weapon or tool! How can you care about someone like that?!" Naruto shouted at him?

Haku paused."For that very reason. Does that seem so strange to you?" He asked.

"Well yeah," Naruto replied.

"When he found me. I was without a purpose or reason for living. Zabuza gave me both. But now, my usefulness is over. The only thing that gave my life meaning. It's gone. I am a broken tool, a blunted weapon of no use to anyone. Go on, Naruto. Do it for both our sakes. Do it quickly," Haku pleaded to Naruto.

💝💝 💝

Hey lovely readers!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Don't hesitate to let me know what you think of this story.

Also, don't forget to vote and comment.

Q: What was your favorite part of this chapter?

Q: Who is ready for the end of this arc?

Thanks for reading!